DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

My impression of the BRP ruleset

Overall, I am glad it is available and recommend this to other players. I was a little disappointed by the generic feel of how things looked... but it is BRP after all. I'll be playing around with it some more but my first impression is two thumbs up but wanting to replace the images with a less generic feel.

Is there an easy way to convert BRP into Call of Cthulhu or fantasy look and feel? Perhaps as an add on or a quick how to? Thanks

The snag with BRP is that is has to look generic: no good building a horror-themed ruleset if you want to play fantasy or sci-fi. The aim was to create a look and feel that was agnostic, but classic: hence the use of marble and the greek key around the chat box. I didn't think they'd look out of place in any genre.

Re-skinning a ruleset to have a different look and feel can be quite easy or quite difficult. If you just want different wallpaper for the desktop and perhaps different logos/backgorund for the charsheet, then it shouldn't be too difficult. If you want to go the whole nine yards and replace every icon and radial menu button then it would be a mammoth task.

It depends how far you want to go and how much effort you want to expend. Sorry that isn't a great answer for you

Foen

How 'bout a few screenshots?

Or a link to a looksee...
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

hehe, you can take a look at the user guide (it has some screen captures) or take a peek at the pictures I posted on BRP Central.

Foen

Irony

Foen,

I think a wallpaper and charsheet backgrounds would be great... although replacing every button really would be neat.... to make it available per genre...

Overall though, I am glad it is available!

Having a 'Fantasy', 'Modern', and perhaps 'Future' skin would be a nice touch.

Did you add many more rules\logistical features beyond the Cthulu ruleset?

Sigurd
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Brp

Unless I missed something, there isn't a Cthulu ruleset integrated with BRP. I have purchased both and might consider using the rest of BRP in my Cthulhu campaign if BRP had a Cthulhu look and feel....

So I guess the trick is, how wouold I be able to merge the two together? Use the BRP rules and combat but have a Cthulhu look and feel and bring in the various Cthulhu characters, modules and notes....

Some of it would be easy but the rest...... hmmm...

Part about the really cool thing of the Cthulhu ruleset is the feel from the dice to the buttons and wallpaper.... using BRP I would lose all of that even if I could easily port in the characters, adventures, and cthulhu rulebook.

The CoC and BRP rulesets are different and not immediately compatible. The Eldritch Horror extension on another thread demonstrates that you can have a CoC flavour for the BRP ruleset, but doesn't include much in the way of changed graphics (just a new character sheet frame and a new character sheet logo).

I think it might be possible to use the graphics in the CoC ruleset to make a reskin for the BRP one, but you'd need Charlie & Doug's permission because the CoC graphics are Chaosium IP.

@Sigurd: The BRP ruleset has quite a few new features not found in CoC, such as P2P whispers, hidden dice rolls, close box on windows, image tools, group chat, and in-game preferences. The BRP game mechanics are also broader and include fatigue, hit locations etc, so can be considered a super-set of CoC.

I have also checked the Traveller skin extension, and it nearly works for BRP so I might see if it can be tweaked to provide a Sci-Fi theme.

Foen

I actually like the generic look and feel. :-) It is classic and fading in the background, but modern and nice looking at the same time. Compared to the SW generic ruleset I like it lots more.
    And with time there will be some themes available I guess ...

Two things that feels slighly less than stellar :

No tracking of character experience? (Or maybe we didn't find it, it was late)

Sharing an item with players and then identifying it doesn't seem to work.

- Obe
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Thread Information