DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Call of Cthulhu Screen Shots

I'll post more in this thread as we play but wanted to display some CoC shots.
    Last edited by Aracon; April 21st, 2010 at 23:32.

Nice maps of the Corbett House!

Thanks... wouldn't have been possible without the cool CoC ruleset

In ages past I was a cartographer and this was my first work in almost two decades. Dundjinni was a handy little program even though it was a royal pain to install... I prefer something a bit more sophisticated but it got a pretty good feel for the House in about an hour per map.

I'll have all of the maps from the ruleset done up in a week or two and had offered to touch them up to be a bit more professional (legends, scale, official Dundjinni stamp, credits, etc) and added as an offering here (either as an add on to the rulesets or a separate item) but there doesn't seem to be much of a demand for CoC maps.

I'm a firm believer of 'Content drives the market'. I feel that the reason that Savage Worlds is the most popular ruleset is because it has the most content available to people. So by that understanding, if you want to bring in more CoC interest, give them the content. Once its there they will start coming more and more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drahkar
    I'm a firm believer of 'Content drives the market'. I feel that the reason that Savage Worlds is the most popular ruleset is because it has the most content available to people. So by that understanding, if you want to bring in more CoC interest, give them the content. Once its there they will start coming more and more.
    I agree with that especially when it comes to adventure related content. Anything that helps the DM reduce their design time and gets him and his players into a game and using the FG interface only ramps up interest. I find the hardest part so far is getting my content into FG and getting PC's created. Its not the technical part thats difficult, its the time needed to get it all into the system and ready to go for me as a DM.

I agree

I agree that setup time is a bit time consuming. It would be nice to have a customizable character generation tool for each ruleset that can import (or built in).

For Call of Cthulhu, I purchased several PDFs through Drivethrurpg to create a few modules for FG2, but the scans were absolutely horrible. When cut and pasting it picks up both columns, the text is tough to read so even re-typing it is difficult and in Secrets of New York, built in images interfere with text.

It's been two months since I spent the money and have heard nothing back from Chaosium either through Doug or my own inquiries.

While I like Call of Cthulhu, the current management of Chaosium appears to be absolutely unresponsive to someone who is both a customer and willing to put the time in for them to generate revenue and they don't have the professionalism to at least respond... "sucks to be you to buy one of our crappy scans. too bad... go find a better copy out on a torrent....or scan one yourself"

So, were you tempted to also do a map for the burned out church that goes along with this classic scenario?

I actually was planning on doing up all of the maps for the scenarios but haven't seen much interest either from Choasium or FG2. I have the Cooked Manse maps pretty much done (with a few changes).

If there is some interest and I have some time and could somehow package up the map set as a download I'd do it. We're doing some fundraising for Childrens Hospital so any proceeds would go to that.

Take heart. I get the impression that Chaosium is ultimately a small shop run by a few people (some of whom aren't even in the same city!) and that significant steps require significant time for them to take.
    It's been a few years since I felt I had any insight to the goings on there, so feel free to disabuse me of any mistaken belief regarding that fine company.

Drahkar is absolutely right, the content is key. At the same time, if you are putting sweat equity into developing content requires another party's approval or cooperation then I can certainly see why you would feel frustrated.

I represent a group of four potential FG2 customers. We shared a dynamic CoC gaming experience for many years and now distance makes that impossible. We are the target market for FG2 & the CoC license. We need content. We need H.P. Lovecraft's Arkham.

I hope you get the support you need to continue the work you are doing & I hope Chaosium & Fantasy Grounds continue to work together to grow the license & its potential.

I purchased the PDFs for Arkham, NYC and Miskatonic U from Drive thru RPG to input them into FG2 as per what I thought was at a project for FG2. I invested a significant amount of money on the pdfs and found they do not cut and paste correctly and are poorly scanned. Over two months later I have heard nothing. If I cared to look I could likely find better scanned copies that I could cut and paste and finish up the three projects for free out on a torrent, but I tried to do the right thing and...

nothing.

I offered up maps and I have heard there was no target market for them. I am leary to offer them up elsewhere such as at Maptools or Battlegrounds due to IP issues.

I am currently running three large CoC groups on FG2 and am using this stuff and am working on cool props including library cards, real census data from the 20's etc. but when I hear nothing from either Chaosium or FG2 then none of that sees the light of day.

FG2 is aware of this as I have exchanged countless emails with Doug... its Chaosium who clearly is missing a golden sales opportunity to have Arkham, Miskatonic U, Secrets of NY, and dozens of maps done up where they reap in a % of the cash for doing nothing more than giving out professional copies of PDFs to paying customers and responding to FG2.

Tis a shame, but many a game company has gone and withered due to poor business skills.

As a clarification, my frustration is that I invested money and got a crappy pdf product from Chaosium. I could care less if they choose to pass up a revenue opportunity of my data entry into FG2, but bein g told to buy PDFs to do the project and then getting a pathetic product is, quite frankly, not indicative of a "fine company", so I would have to sternly agree to disagree with your praise of whomever currently runs Chaosium.
    Last edited by Aracon; April 21st, 2010 at 20:57.

Thread Information