DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Keyboard/scroll-wheel focus issue

This is actually a long-standing issue that has been a problem with FG since the beginning, I just keep forgetting to post about it.

Fantasy Grounds does not properly grab keyboard and mouse-wheel events when the user brings it into focus by clicking on it's window. It only properly grabs events if the user uses alt-tab to bring it into focus.

Additionally, if clicked on to give focus, it stays behind the Windows task bar. Only when alt-tabbed into does it properly overlap the task bar.
    -Bumamgar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumamgar
    This is actually a long-standing issue that has been a problem with FG since the beginning, I just keep forgetting to post about it.

Fantasy Grounds does not properly grab keyboard and mouse-wheel events when the user brings it into focus by clicking on it's window. It only properly grabs events if the user uses alt-tab to bring it into focus.

Additionally, if clicked on to give focus, it stays behind the Windows task bar. Only when alt-tabbed into does it properly overlap the task bar.
    I do believe these are "Bugs" caused by directX rather than FGII.

I use the old maximise/restore FGII trick to get the focus back.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk
    I do believe these are "Bugs" caused by directX rather than FGII.
    Whatever the source, it certainly is annoying to someone (like me) that has FG2 running full screen on one display and has game related docs up on a second display. I switch back and forth frequently, and keep forgetting to use <alt><tab> to do it.

-Kevin McD

Quote Originally Posted by Invain63
    Whatever the source, it certainly is annoying to someone (like me) that has FG2 running full screen on one display and has game related docs up on a second display. I switch back and forth frequently, and keep forgetting to use <alt><tab> to do it.

-Kevin McD
    Annoying, yes, but my understanding is that there's not a lot that Smiteworks can do about it. It's up to Microsoft.

Spyke
    Free GURPS tools for Fantasy Grounds at www.spyke.me.

This cannot be true, as plenty of other DirectX programs focus properly when brought to the front via a mouse click.

But yes, I run dual-head, and am constantly switching out of FG to browse game related documentation on my other screen. Having to alt-tab to get focus back is very annoying.
    -Bumamgar

I'd recommend dragging the FG window so it fills the screen instead of making it maximize to full screen.

Of course that still doesn't bring it in front of the taskbar, but if you can get by with that..
    Last edited by Leonal; February 21st, 2010 at 23:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumamgar
    This cannot be true, as plenty of other DirectX programs focus properly when brought to the front via a mouse click.
    As does Fantasy Grounds when running in a window, as I suspect these other DirectX programs are.

The problem comes when you put Fantasy Grounds into Full Screen mode in such a way that other windows such as the taskbar or other applications are visible on top, or brought to the foreground later. In these cases you have to give FG back the focus with Alt-Tab.

I suspect that if you have a DirectX program, like many games, that also has a full screen mode, you will find that it has the same issue, but I'm happy to be proved wrong!

Spyke
    Free GURPS tools for Fantasy Grounds at www.spyke.me.

Thread Information