DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Windows 7 Connection Woes

Well, here goes.

I have windows 7 on both my laptop and desktop. I just cannot get the connection test to work for me. I can connect to someone and download the ruleset, but I cannot get someone to connect to me. They always time out.

The connection test does not work for me. It never has.

I have been through all nooks and crannies, searched the forums inside and out.

I know the problem is with win 7.

I do not have any other firewall aside from the default.

I use my laptop at work as well, and the IP guy configured the router, but I still could not connect.

I am pretty computer literate, but ports and firewalls confuse me. I was able to get it done in XP and vista, but this latest area is really frustrating.

I have kept silent for a long time about this... but I feel this is the #1 reason that FG has not cornered the market.

I am sorry I don't know about how to resolve this issue. Thing is, I should not have to. I just want to get up and running.

Please, any available to help?

My stats:

Windows 7 Ultimate
    Bell router/modem

I checked for rules, have tried all configurations. I am pretty much ready to throw in the towel, sad considering I have been with FG since the beginning.
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

Totally failed with Vista re hosting a game .... 'tis why I have not GM'd in years. I totally agree that the complexity involved in getting past a router/defender/firewall/Norton/stealth ports etc etc etc is what is limiting the average casual rpg-er from using VTAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    Totally failed with Vista re hosting a game .... 'tis why I have not GM'd in years. I totally agree that the complexity involved in getting past a router/defender/firewall/Norton/stealth ports etc etc etc is what is limiting the average casual rpg-er from using VTAs.
    Funny thing is what I run is Vista for hosting, and I've never had the issues described...

I think if you were to follow Doug's advice in the XP firewall thread, you may get it to work for Vista/7 as well...
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

I had no issues under Win 7 Professional. I'm not sure what would be in Ultimate that might cause a problem. If you switch off the Windows Firewall are you able to connect?

If not, then it sounds like we're back to our perennial issue with cracking the port forwarding for your new setup.

Spyke
    Free GURPS tools for Fantasy Grounds at www.spyke.me.

Check netstat -a to see if there is anything else runing on the port maybe?

In Windows 7 Premium it pretty much set up itself and I can't imagine that Ultimate version would be worse of so my bet is that it is something else runing and ruining the experience.

What kind of router and/or modem do you use?

- Obe
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberoten

In Windows 7 Premium it pretty much set up itself and I can't imagine that Ultimate version would be worse of so my bet is that it is something else runing and ruining the experience.

- Obe
    From what Kal has told me - he's more or less ruled out the router as being the problem...

My guess is its the windows firewall (or some other firewall application installed) that we just can't see operating...damnably frustrating it is...
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Spyke
    I had no issues under Win 7 Professional. I'm not sure what would be in Ultimate that might cause a problem. If you switch off the Windows Firewall are you able to connect?

If not, then it sounds like we're back to our perennial issue with cracking the port forwarding for your new setup.

Spyke
    Even with the firewall off, it will not pass the test.
    Ultimate Licence holder

But I'm learning!

If you take the router out of the equation and connect directly through the modem does it still fail?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberoten

- Obe
    I cannot see port 1802 from either...
    Ultimate Licence holder

But I'm learning!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar
    If you take the router out of the equation and connect directly through the modem does it still fail?
    Unfortunately, the modem IS the router.

It is a 2wire gateway 2701HG-G Gateway
    Ultimate Licence holder

But I'm learning!

Thread Information