Starfinder Playlist

Beginners and Random Crashes

We are a new group of FGII players and are currently navigating our rite of passage into a stable and enjoyable game on the FGII VTT. We use the 4e_JPG ruleset and run a variety of OSes.

So far between installation, dropouts and wives we have not had a night without interruption. In most cases the issues can be sorted quite easily there are a few issues how ever that will leave you scratching your head for short period of time. Below I have included some of the issues and notes that we as a new group to FGII have faced with the hope that fellow FGIIers may benefit from.

FG Lite Edition and Rulesets:

Like many groups we purchased a bundle of Full and Lite licenses to spread around the group. The two GMs with Full licenses loaded the 4e_JPG ruleset with out a problem and started play testing whilst the lite users spent hours trying to figure out how to install the 4e_JPG ruleset on the Lite version.
    For the life of me I cannot remember where the below info came from I will find it and post a quote/link. RtFM is usually the answer.

Custom/Additional Rulesets are not downloaded and installed on Lite versions in the same way as the Full Version of FGII. For Lite versions the client will download the ruleset from the Host the first time you connect to a new campaign. And yes it does download again if you connect to a new camapign even if it is the same ruleset as previous campaigns you have played.

Shared Tokens and other Token Issues:
    For a GM, the general rule for tokens in the shared directory is to keep them to a minimum. We also noticed some oddities after I left a large zip file of my WIP tokens in the "App Data\Fantasy Grounds II\tokens\" directory. There are a variety of issues that have arisen from sharing a large quantity of tokens using the shared directory.

Additionally there are other issues with populating your maps with tokens the first below has an effective work around. When adding tokens to a map have your players close CT then reopen when finished.

Tokens Crashing FGII: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ad.php?t=11364

Maps
    Try to keep your maps to a max 1024x1024. Not only will this help with bandwidth for sharing maps but it will also help reducing issues with large masks.
    <Place Holder for Thread Links>

Facebook

I do not know if anyone else has even encountered this but we had one user who always had facebook open in the background. We had two nightmare sessions with him dropping on a regular basis. After a while we noticed that the crashes seemed to occur when ever he recieved a message via facebook. Now whilst playing that player no longer has facebook open in the background and those particular dropouts have ceased.

We are still far from nuub but I will keep this going until we have loaded all of the issues we come up against.

Hope this helps and thanks for reading
    Naj

"Yes I am a nuub, but surely there is someone nuuber than me!"
    Last edited by Najmir; February 9th, 2010 at 00:12.

Blog Entries
    That is interesting about Facebook. Do you know if he had FG maximized at the time? I know that switching to the application and losing focus is a little flaky with FG maximized and most people simply drag the screen so it takes up the full room of the screen without actually maximizing the app. It is on the list of items to be resolved.

I think he did have it maximised. However as you say there is a focus problem when FGII is Maximised. We usually just find that FGII is not respoonsive when we have a non-FGII window focused. But in this case the player's FGII client was actually crashing and it seems to correspond to receiving messages on FaceBook.

It may only be coincidence but the crash rate on that evening and successive evenings did drop dramatically once FB was not open in BG.

Additionally we have had other issues especially last night when I ran an adventure and did not realise I had grabbed a WIP map at 6.5MB instead of the 104KB jpg i had exported. That caused all manner of nightmares so we called the session and then I realised my error. Just a slip of the mouse.

We will be trialing a few things tonight. If we get the time we will test out the FB issue further.

Added:
    Also I am running Wiindows 7 and cannot find any log files. Are you able to point me in the right direction. I have scoured Prog Files, App Data, Entire User Dir to no avail. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Najmir; February 9th, 2010 at 00:03.

Also I am running Wiindows 7 and cannot find any log files. Are you able to point me in the right direction. I have scoured Prog Files, App Data, Entire User Dir to no avail. Thanks in advance.
    In Windows 7 I make it so I can access my user folder in the top left.

[User Folder]/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Ground II/campaigns/[Name of Campaign]/chatlog

Hope that helps.

cpbs
    AbacusForge - Blog
    Think - Develop - Build

Player:Yes Times: Contact Me

DM:Yes/Also willing to DM groups (PM me) Time: Contact Me

Rulesets: 3.5, Cthulhu

cp

Thanks for the reply.

I have the chat log. I thought there may have been an error log with any catches. (Error catches that is). The chat log does not seem to have any error details.

Regards
    Naj

Also dd
    Did i read somewhere that FGII is developed on .NET 3.5? I might be another app i am thinking of?
    Added: Never mind me.. completely different app.

Thanks
    Last edited by Najmir; February 9th, 2010 at 03:17.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Najmir
    Added:
    Check the App data directory again. You should find a console.log file. This is a dump of the FGII console log.

If FGII run-time crashes Windows should capture the exception details which you can also cut n paste into a text file.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thanks Doc... will have a look

Thread Information