DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan
    changing from DirectX to Open GL for one -- which I actually think would be a good move anyway
    I'm curious why you would think this. Care to elaborate?

Blog Entries
    I'll hazard a guess its because OpenGL is an Open standard thus its supported on practically all current platforms including Windows, Linux and OS X. Supporting an OpenGL engine would enable easier ports to the other non-Windows platforms.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Just wondering if its for the right reasons! Hm... In any case, it's a task easier said than done. Besides the compatibility advantages of OpenGL, I just find DirectX to be a better graphics API. Maybe that's why Smiteworks originally chose it? Though perhaps they regretted it when working on that vaporware Mac port....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneZ
    Just wondering if its for the right reasons! Hm... In any case, it's a task easier said than done. Besides the compatibility advantages of OpenGL, I just find DirectX to be a better graphics API. Maybe that's why Smiteworks originally chose it? Though perhaps they regretted it when working on that vaporware Mac port....
    I think its fair to say that when Smiteworks first launched FantasyGrounds the choice of DirectX probably made sense for two simple reasons i) Microsoft did a pretty good job of providing good support in the form of development tools for DirectX and ii) Windows accounts for about 80% of all home desktops.

Today, Windows pretty much remains the home platform choice for many but Microsoft are not the innovative company they once were and for the observant a shift is occurring and its not Windows thats leading the pact. Open platfoms like Linux and Apple's OS X platforms are slowly gaining ground and new platforms like Apple's i platform (iPad etc.) and Google's Android are providing innovative new platforms.

OpenGL whilst open still lacks the convenience of DirectX so I guess its a trade off. Picking DirectX is simply good business sense given it requires the least amount of input and addresses the largest proportion of home computing solutions.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Bingo, for the reasons above.

DirectX is great for Windows, no doubt. I suppose the question is will FG remain a Windows-only product for the long-term? The compatibility mode works fine on linux and (I assume) MacOS, but if FG ever wants to enter the tablet/portable market, it would be useful to switch over to OpenGL at some point, since the tablet market is currently dominated by iOS and Android.

That may change if MS comes out with a great tablet... but that remains to be seen. In the meantime, the few iPad gaming apps out there don't even compare to FG, and I see some serious potention.

Of course, I recognize the herculean effort it would be to rewrite FG for non-Windows systems, so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon if at all... just saying it would be very cool.

Blog Entries
    We will continue to re-evaluate as things change -- or if we end up getting really inspired by the next version of the iPad or something.

Thread Information