STAR TREK 2d20

Before buying full version and Call Cthulhu expansion

I seem have a few questions maybe someone can answer before I buy the full version of Fantasy Grounds & the Call of Cthulhu expansion:

1) How hard is it, once bought, to set up and play a Call of Cthulhu game? I do not know a lot about PCs and programing.

2) Is it easy to find a Call of Cthulhu game? Or are there long periods of time where no games are up and running?

3) Fantasy Grounds uses version v6...can a game keeper also use some of the rules found in BRP books in Fantasy Grounds?

I would like to play a few games and get use to Fantasy Grounds then run some games.

thx

1) How hard is it, once bought, to set up and play a Call of Cthulhu game? I do not know a lot about PCs and programing.
    Installing FG and the Call of Cthulhu ruleset are both usually straightforward. As with anything involving PCs, there are occasions when things don't go as planned, but you will find the community here very helpful.

Hosting your first game can be quite painful, however, as you will need to set up your PC to accept incoming server requests, and route those requests through your firewall(s) and router. This is non-trivial, but only needs to be done once. Again, the community here is helpful and seems to be quite patient (thankfully).

2) Is it easy to find a Call of Cthulhu game? Or are there long periods of time where no games are up and running?
    Try posting in the Guild House forum. There have been a couple of threads recently looking for CoC players, one of them is focusing on one-shots and that might suit your needs.

3) Fantasy Grounds uses version v6...can a game keeper also use some of the rules found in BRP books in Fantasy Grounds?
    The CoC ruleset isn't designed for other BRP games, there is a separate product in the pipeline for that, but you can use it with some of them. It doesn't support hit locations, so you can't use it with RuneQuest very easily.

The graphics are designed for a horror campaign, so using it with BRP in other genres might not feel 'right'.

I hope that helps

Foen

Also, note that you don't need either the full license nor the ruleset if you just want to play CoC.

Quote Originally Posted by Foen
    The CoC ruleset isn't designed for other BRP games, there is a separate product in the pipeline for that, but you can use it with some of them.
    Oh really? Any details about this product that you can share?

The BRP ruleset is substantially complete, but that is when all the issues surface, and there is still some significant reference module conversion yet required. It will be published by SmiteWorks, but I'm not yet in a position to give an estimated release date.

The graphics skin is complete, and I have to say that hit location templates have been the toughest challenge...

Stuart

Thread Information