DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 30 of 44 First ... 20282930313240 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Agreed. I've been doing my hardest to add as much content as quickly, alas time is not my friend (in fact, she hates me atm).

Still, should get Secrets of San Francisco completed, and then soon after some Dead Light....
    C&C is Castles & Crusades....
    You mad buggers call yours CoC!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    C&C is Castles & Crusades....
    You mad buggers call yours CoC!
    Aha! You see! The insanity has all ready blurred the lines......
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Blog Entries
    Doug, is it possible to get an updated list publishers that you guys would like to see material converted for. I know one line of material I would like to convert but I know they don't have a current license with you.
    Ultimate License Holder

Hello, everyone.

Well, I am aware that this specific thread is not focused on D&D 5th ed. Material, but I didn’t found any other place to ask this, and thought it would be better do it here instead of starting another one.

As things go, I am finishing this week a set with four battle maps in high resolution, with descriptions of the general features of the areas, and also some pre-made encounters, so a DM, for example, activate the module and have anything he/she needs to run a encounter there, if the need arises.

Since I am planning to use the full content of D&D 5th ed., not only the SRD, I think I will be bound to publish the material through DM’s Guild. But I also think I prefer to share any profit, be it website access, be it money, with Smite Works first and then WotC, so I wish to know if there is a way to do this trough FG Store.

Finally, if that is not a possibility, I would like to know if I could post the FG modules in DM’s Guild as zip files, so any FG user can download it from there, or if it would represent some copyright infringement related to FG software use. That way, I can mark them as “pay what you want”; therefore, if someone likes it enough to share some bucks, that would be a great way to fund my site, for example.

Thanks for any insight on this.

=)
    Last edited by Galach; June 30th, 2016 at 15:49.

If you want to include WotC material that isn't in the SRD then you'll need to direct your request to WotC. Without their permission you can't publish anything, anywhere at any time.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Galach View Post
    Finally, if that is not a possibility, I would like to know if I could post the FG modules in DM’s Guild as zip files, so any FG user can download it from there, or if it would represent some copyright infringement related to FG software use.
    I was wondering this too. The xml format that FG uses for 5e is free, so it's allowed to share 5e modules among the community (assuming no WotC content). And the DMsG allows the selling of WotC content. But is it allowed to sell content that is formatted in the free xml format that FG uses for the 5e ruleset? Does putting the label 'file made for use with the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop software' cross some legal line?
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Send a note to Doig at [email protected]

Doug has been working on a proposal for this, but it's a little complex with the DM's Guild stuff since there are multiple companies involved.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I was wondering this too. The xml format that FG uses for 5e is free, so it's allowed to share 5e modules among the community (assuming no WotC content). And the DMsG allows the selling of WotC content. But is it allowed to sell content that is formatted in the free xml format that FG uses for the 5e ruleset? Does putting the label 'file made for use with the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop software' cross some legal line?
    This is one thing that motivated me to ask in first place.

I know that WotC is very rigid with its licenses (and they are right to be), but since Fantasy Grounds is publishing official content, and since DMs Guild is allowing the publication of content using “restricted” information, I thought to be worth to ask if, by chance, Smite Works had some kind of similar license.

In the event of a complete negative answer, I would like to provide my content on DMs Guild, because there I could publish a PDF file and a FG Module, so both worlds (VTT and in-person games) can see and use them, but I don’t want to cross any legal line.

Finally, I would not mind to use only the SRD, and post my things right on my site or on FG Store, but this would present two problems I would need to solve: first, again, the legality of sharing/selling something created with FG outside FG site.

Second, the lack of ability to create a “pay what you want” model, where I can share for free, but still be able to receive something if someone liked my content enough to give me a few dollars, greatly motivating me to produce more =)

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Send a note to Doig at [email protected]

Doug has been working on a proposal for this, but it's a little complex with the DM's Guild stuff since there are multiple companies involved.

Regards,
    JPG
    Nice, MW!

I will finish my module, send an email to Doug and ask if he can review what I had created and tell me if, and how, it can publish it. For now, I will stick with the SRD, to avoid major conflicts. All in all, since it is my very first module, I would share it for free anyway.
    Last edited by Galach; June 30th, 2016 at 20:50.

Blog Entries
    So, here's my understanding.

First, distributing FG modules outside of the FG store is permissible as far as licensing with SmiteWorks go. This does not mean you can include IP owned by anyone, but does mean you can distribute all original content in FG format however and where-ever you want. (AAW is one example.)

Within the license of the DMsG, you can publish your module there (as a zip). About the only relevant WotC stuff you can not include is artwork. That means that the FG tokens included with the MM in FG can not be included (as I understand it). So, you could include a 5E FG module using the monsters etc, just not the tokens. Or you could include links to the MM monsters and state that the host (DM) must have the MM in order to use your module.

I too have been waiting for Doug to get an agreement that would allow us to distribute through the FG store under a license similar to the DMsG.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information