FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Want to produce official FG products, adventures, rulesets?

One thing I aspire to is to build up the number of readily available rulesets, adventures and accessories. I expect most of these will come from the community, like they do today. There are problems with the current model though. Developers/users desperately want to share their hard work with the community but they are hampered by the unknown of whether or not their work infringes upon anyone else' Intellectual Property. I would like to assist in the process by working directly with the publishers to gain approval for anything which uses their IP or which might infringe upon their IP. If something is cool but uses any of their actual IP, then the publisher needs to have final approval and then receive royalties. If it doesn't require royalties, then we will have received verification from the publisher to that effect. (at least that is the idea)

For anything requiring royalties, the content author can provide it for sale through the FG store where the # of sales can be tracked and the publisher can be guaranteed that they will be paid accurately and on time.

The commission model works out basically like this:

Conversion of full an adventure from a PDF to a fully playable FG module
    1. Publisher approves translation
    2. Royalty gets paid to Publisher
    3. A percentage of sale goes to the developer for the first 12 months it is for sale. We may extend over time if the module undergoes maintenance changes that we request or to keep it current with new functionality.
    4. % remaining goes to FG

When I used FG, I often times made FG modules from official adventure modules I bought. This requires a good amount of time to do and at the end of the process you aren't legally able to distribute that content.

People are free to continue distributing rulesets, adventures and accessories that don't infringe upon any publisher's IPs through the forums, wiki or whatever means they want. Some of the stuff out there is kind of border-line though and the people distributing it are assuming any risk with that transaction. I am not here to tell people what they can and can not do. I just want to provide a means where people can know for sure that "yes they can" do something.

** I will list all Publishers who are open to this idea in a future thread. If you have a ruleset for a non-licensed publisher but you would like to share it, I can contact the publisher on your behalf to help secure the same basic arrangement.
    Last edited by ddavison; July 29th, 2017 at 01:16.

Blog Entries
    List of Publishers

These publishers have agreed to allow officially licensed materials according to the guidelines posted above. For the most part, any of the publishers we have in our store would be interested in providing additional products available for sale. Inquire to James Holloway ([email protected]) if you would like to become a developer for a new ruleset or products. Please provide information on your experience level with developing content.

Pinnacle Entertainment Group
    • Savage Worlds content
    • Full catalog

Chaosium, Inc.
    • Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition
    • Full Catalog

Metamorphosis Alpha
    • Ruleset and Core Rulebook Library

Triple Ace Games
    www.tripleacegames.com
    • Savage Worlds Content
    • Full Catalog

Mongoose Publishing (Contracting for individual product lines as they arive)
    www.mongoosepublishing.com
    • RuneQuest Ruleset (in progress by Colin Richardson)[/COLOR]
    • Battlefield Evolution
    • Full catalog

Mindstorm Labs
    www.mindstormlabs.com/
    • Alpha Omega: Ruleset and adventures

Alderac Entertainment Group - AEG
    https://www.alderac.com
    • Legend of the Five Rings (upcoming 4th edition)
    • 7th Sea (inquire for details)
    • The World's Largest Dungeon

Green Ronin
    • Mutants & Masterminds supplements
    • True20 ruleset and supplements
    • Blue Rose
    • Freeport (Mgrancey working on it - 9/8/2014)
    • 3rd Era
    • Maps and Map Books not branded as DC or Song of Ice and Fire

Palladium
    • Rifts
    • After the Bomb
    • Aliens Unlimited
    • Beyond the Supernatural
    • Dead Reign
    • Heroes Unlimited
    • Heroes of the Megaverse
    • The Mechanoids
    • Nightbane
    • Ninjas & Superspies
    • Palladium Fantasy RPG
    • Phase World and the Three Galaxies
    • Powers Unlimited
    • Splicers
    • Villains Unlimited

See this thread for additional details on updating existing rulesets:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13678
    Last edited by ddavison; April 12th, 2021 at 16:02.

I sent an official request to FFG to make a new Warhammer ruleset, however, it is such a large entity and there are so many different companies and properties involved I'm not holding out much hope.

Don't get me wrong, I understand. That's a mighty big request coming from someone they've never heard of

If I can get permission, I'd like to recruit a pro team and put together and top shelf ruleset based on the new WFRP.
    Ultimate License
    Rulesets by NezziR:
    WFRP2 for FGI, WFRP2 for FGII, Dark Heresy for FGII,
    Savage Fallout for FGII and Savage Worlds, FGII help mod.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/fgvtt/files

Blog Entries
    I made my first attempt yesterday with FFG. I will keep trying and let you know when I make progress.

If the number of PMs I've received so far are any indication, there are a lot of very nice rulesets sitting out there that haven't been able to be distributed due to lack of permissions from license holders.

Any idea what Iron Crown's attitude toward commercial original content modules geared to Rolemaster on FG2 would be? Now that would be fun, I could get into that. Assuming I ever had the time! LOL. I've no idea what sort of rights territory I would be stepping into by designing FG2 modules for their system.

Blog Entries
    I also attempted to contact the writer of a free module published on WOTC that i had converted. The writer got back to me to say it was now owned by wotc. I contacted them,, got a response to say it was being looked at... that was over 2 mnth ago now ..

I have a number of Scales of War modules made using Tenian's parser that I would love to publish. I would love to see you reach out to WotC, Doug.

On one hand, they may decline because FG2 is in direct competition with their gametable.

On the other hand, they removed all mention of the game table from their site, so... yeah.

I've tried with Eden Studios for a Unisystem ruleset with no success as yet. I have had some success with other publishers for community offerings, I'm not sure whether they'd be interested in taking those further (PM sent). There are a couple of publishers I still need to contact as I've only recently done/started a character sheet ruleset for those games.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Not as easy as it looks, is it guys? :-)

If anyone is interested in my attempts to contact publishers, or who might be the best person to speak with at a company (or if I know anyone), just drop me a private message or email.

KWM

Blog Entries
    I was asked by Sigurd if I would mind sharing rough estimates on the expected sales metrics for each product. I believe in transparency as much as possible as my preferred method of business, so here is a little something on that topic that I thought the community would like to know.

I am still playing around with gathering statistics for each game system myself. There have been roughly 10K customers to date for FG products and many of them have purchased several licenses and products. The number is growing more and more each month (on average), but we have a long way to go. As an example, Paizo had 50K people download and beta test their new Pathfinder rules. They haven't released how many people actually purchased the rules once they were complete but I did see several references to them selling out of product. Someone recently told me what the ENWorld subscriber base was and I think it was more than 35K. WOTC in their last article about suits against people who illegally distributed their material estimated about 6 million active gamers worldwide who play D&D 4E. Other game systems are a little harder to target but there are some sizable niche markets out there.

For FG, a good module to date sells anywhere from fifty to several hundred copies. Most sales occur within a month or two of release but the good products typically continue to have trickle sales as more people continue to "find" Fantasy Grounds and discover the related products. I plan to start doing email blasts and RSS feeds for specific rulesets to let people know as soon as there is a new adventure module available for a ruleset they already own. I also plan to start marketing campaigns for each major game system that is out there. We have a long way to go to increase market penetration.

My hope is to secure as many licensed product lines as possible so that people don't have to spend a year or so trying to get permission from publishers to distribute product -- or worse, never receive permission to share content or provide it for sale to the community. I believe people will ultimately build systems to support whatever game system they personally want to play -- no matter how large the target audience might eventually be. For some systems, it might prove to be financially viable and for others it will be more for personal satisfaction and for the love of the game.

Thread Information