5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. I can understand that there will be some concerns. I plan on listening to the community and using that to shape the future of Fantasy Grounds, much like it has in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd
    While I share your concern for the program, this is inherently an unfair question.
    It's a tough question, I agree, but I don't think it's inherently unfair. Over the years the original developers have shown a consistent ability to add features that fit 'organically' with the feel of the program. Consequently, I've developed a trust in them that they will continue to do this.

In Doug's announcement he spoke about the structure of the company and the code, but didn't mention graphics. Since these are a major part of what sets FG apart from its competition, as Doug agrees above in his reply, it was reasonable to probe further. If my question makes Doug think more deeply about this side, then I think it was worth asking.

Doug, your answer is welcome but doesn't set my mind completely at rest. The look and feel is not just about booking graphic artists for piece work that can deliver the same quality, but about having a vision of what will fit when drawing up plans for new features and coding them. While it's true that feedback from the community in response to new features can guide development, that's not much use to you if you've paid an external artist to produce the thing that's raising objections.

Anyway, time will tell, and as I think you said elsewhere, it takes time to build that trust up after a change like this.

I do wish you well, and I also want to add my thanks to the original team for the amazing work they've done over the years.

Spyke
    Free GURPS tools for Fantasy Grounds at www.spyke.me.

Blog Entries
    No words will be able to truly ease your concerns. It is going to require actions on my part to demonstrate that my vision is going to be good for the program. I think there are some things which will be released very shortly that should set you mind at ease. One set of items will be easy for others to integrate into their own rulesets and that will be a good example of how I prefer to combine form and function into a seamless experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd
    While I share your concern for the program, this is inherently an unfair question.
    Well, I share Spyke's concerns (and yours, regarding the maintaining of the independent server\client system structure). The original developers displayed a really unusual talent for assembling the application, both in code and in aesthetics. As an artist, I understand unusual and rare talent can't be really replicated. (In some degree, but not exactly in the same proportion, this is aplicable to coding, too.)

Confidence in the new adquisitors & developers needs to be based in the upcoming changes. Meanwhile I wish too to applaud original Smiteworks' developers for achieving this magnificent and sleek online roleplaying application. They made a revolutionary change regarding old & ugly & unispiring database interfaces as OpenRPG and achieved an improvement comparable to the emergence of the Commodore Amiga when almost everything else were plain DOS interfaces.

-

On the other hand I was seeing Fantasy Ground 2 development a bit stalled since the release of the current version in 2006, I believe (the version 2+). Maybe this adquisition, if Doug keeps the good things in some way faithful to the original product ("an excellent beer with its own special recipe") puts more things in movement: there are many feautures waiting for incorporation to Fantasy Grounds.

So, be welcome, Doug. We will be waiting for the results of your work.

Regards
    "We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
    M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
    J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

"It emerges that physics is basic but inessential; that is the crucial fact."
    Wolfgang Smith

My only concern is pricing. If FG were to move to any type of subscription service to play, I'd have to find another virtual table. Optional floating licenses would be fine, but any compulsory fees would kill it for me.

Beyond that though, I'm excited to see some fresh code! Good luck and just buzz in if you need any help from the community ('cause we're awesome like that!).
    Ultimate License
    Rulesets by NezziR:
    WFRP2 for FGI, WFRP2 for FGII, Dark Heresy for FGII,
    Savage Fallout for FGII and Savage Worlds, FGII help mod.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/fgvtt/files

I'd like to make direct contact re content for FG.

Hi David!
    I've like to open up a discussion re providing adventures and content for FG. Last year we here in discussions with Kevin Melka re content for DA and had started writting & producing artwork for him. However, delays got in the way and we had to pull the project into our own publishing house. We are just about to release our first adventure, token and map set which is fully licensed for the Savage Worlds ruleset. More are set to follow. Kevin suggested I contact you through these forums. Please contact me via our web site: www.storyweaver.com or email me at joe a@t the-sweeneys.com.
    Cheers and congratulations on the aquistion,
    Joe Sweeney
    God doesn't play dice with the universe... I do.
    Bag O' Bones: The worlds best free dice set for the Pocket PC
    MookMasher Delux II: Free Pocket PC game manager for For Feng Shui fanatics.
    Learn how to make beautiful dungeon maps with Joe's Video Tutorials at RPG Virtual Tabletop and ProFantasy.
    NUGs Gaming Group. Don't play with yourself, play with your NUGS.

Thread Information