STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Test version available (2.6.0)

Version 2.6.0
    • Hex grid support added. Both vertically and horizontally stacked hex grids are available. Along with this, there are new script functions, imagecontrol.getGridType and imagecontrol.setGridType. A helper function imagecontrol.getGridHexElementDimensions can be used for easier calculations on the hex grid, and imagecontrol.setGridToolType controls the kinds of grids placed on an individual image. The event onGridStateChanged is called whenever the grid type of an imagecontrol changes.
    • Token rotation can now be controlled from script. The functions imagecontrol.setTokenOrientationCount, tokeninstance.setOrientation and tokeninstance.getOrientation are available for this purpose.
    • Improved scripting support for images. New functions (in imagecontrol include preload, enableGridPlacement, getDrawingTool, setDrawingTool, deleteDrawing, setMaskEnabled, getMaskTool and setMaskTool. New events include onDrawStateChanged and onMaskingStateChanged.
    We know there are a multitude of conventions available for use on hex grids. This is a starting point, with basic functionality. We'll keep an eye on feedback and see what needs refining.

Use the test mode tool to get yourself into test mode to access this version, and don't forget to back up testing campaigns.
    Tero Parvinen
    Fantasy Grounds Guru

Very cool, Thanks!

Good to see.
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Very, very exciting news!

Spyke
    Free GURPS tools for Fantasy Grounds at www.spyke.me.

Anyone managed to get the download to work?
    Its not updating for me (but I honestly think its an issue with security settings on my computer).

I'm on a very slow hotel connection and I've just given up. I may have to wait until I get home at the weekend... <sigh>

Spyke

I have and it's looking good so far. I've had a quick play with the hex grid. Looking very good.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Call me an idiot but I can't find an option to use a hex grid in the foundation ruleset or base 3.5 ruleset.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneZ
    Call me an idiot but I can't find an option to use a hex grid in the foundation ruleset or base 3.5 ruleset.
    You need to click on the preferences button in the top right corner. There you can switch the grid from square to hex, and also toggle snap to grid.

My hotel connection's sped up this morning, so I've managed to update, hurrah!

The grid seems to work well, nice and simple and intuitive. It took me a bit of time to figure out how to get vertical hexes, but now I've sussed that I quite like it (when setting the grid, move the mouse around and you'll see the sample hex change between horizontal and vertical). However, it may be simpler just to have this as an option in the preferences. I can imagine some maps where you're trying to place the grid very accurately getting a bit fiddly if you're also trying to get the hex orientation right.

Snap-to-grid also works to the hex nodes as well as the centres. I can't see this being a problem during play, and I assume there are some games which require this.

One slight issue is that when you zoom into the map, the hex grid gets pixellated. This wasn't a problem with the square grid, presumably because it's just vertical or horizontal lines. One of the advantages of setting a grid in the application rather than simply adding it to the map beforehand is that it should be possible to zoom in with the grid redrawing accurately. (The other advantage of course is that you can snap to it, so it's still a big improvement.) Would redrawing the grid as you zoom, to keep the fine hex lines, add a big overhead?

Overall, great job! Now I've got to add the code to the GURPS ruleset... or my name will be mud.

Spyke

I have to agree. It looks GOOD and while I haven't managed to get the preferences part of it to work with my now rather... OLD Ars Magica ruleset, I have managed to get the hex-grid to come up for me.

It works a charm.

Of course with no shading for movement etc, I am now even more in need of a ruler to see how far anyone can or can't move.

- Obe
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Thanks, Spyke! Good stuff. I've never played anything except DnD so don't have an immediate need for hex maps, but I've always been itching to use some house rules that allow hexes, just because it makes movement distances so much more realistic and sensible, especially in 4e. Good to know that's an option for me now.

Thread Information