5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread: Dundjinni Maps

I use 72 x 72 as my standard grid size across all maps and tokens.

Using a single grid size for everything makes it easy to organize and standardize. There were two considerations I gave before choosing 72 x 72.

First, that seems to me to be sufficient size that at native resolution, you can get a great deal of detail. Your "zoomed in" maps look great, and the tokens have lots of detail.

Second, 72 x 72 can be scaled down very easily by whatever algorithm that FG uses to downscale images. The reason it works so well is because 72 x 72 can be cleanly divided by a large number of integers, which results in a smoothness in the image when scaled:

72 / 2 = 36
    72 / 3 = 24
    72 / 4 = 18
    72 / 6 = 12
    72 / 8 = 9

Base 2, right?
    Why everything computer is 480, 640, 1024.... numbers like that.

because of the bit

Sorry. Shouldn't have said "why".

It sounded like an ESL question.

Thank You for verifying though.

I am a bit late wading in on this thread but if you are using tiles, you could do a lot worse than PyMapper from the dungeon_tiles Yahoo group. You can create your map in there from all the official tilesets (useful for recreating WotC-published maps from Dungeon magazine, Dungeon Delve, RPGA etc) and export it as a .jpg for use in FG2. Be sure to resize your map background once you're done mind, or you will end up with many KBs of blank space. I haven't done much more than experiment with this, but it looks like a decent area battlemap should not weigh in much more than 100KB or so.
    DNH
    "Lost in Karameikos"

I export them to .bpm (export to map graphic, raw .bmp with 100 as size), then use "save for web" at photoshop and then I use advanced jpeg compressor. That way I get ~300kb files with almost no resolution loss and, therefore, great graphics!

Thread Information