DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Newb having trouble installing rulesets

Hello all,

So I'm quite new to the whole FG thing and I have a few problems. I tried doing a couple of searches but they didn't answer my question, apologies if it's already been covered. Right, so let's get to the point.

I bought the Lite version of the game, also downloaded the d20 ruleset (which works fine). I use a 64 bit Vista, think that's worth mentioning. However, my gaming group is currently using the SWSE ruleset, so I downloaded that too. This time though, it didn't quite work. I read the readme, which said to put the ruleset in the user/roaming/FG/rulesets directory. First problem was that I didn't have a ruleset folder, I created one and put the SWSE ruleset inside. When I tried creating a local character with the ruleset it wouldn't open because it couldn't load the root file "base.xml". I checked the SWSE folder but the base file is there.

That's my problem. Any ideas from the helpful folk here? My hard disk is split in two, my OS is on the first drive, while I keep games on the second. Could that cause the problem?

Thanks in advance and sorry if it's already been covered before!

Quote Originally Posted by Pepik
    Hello all,

So I'm quite new to the whole FG thing and I have a few problems. I tried doing a couple of searches but they didn't answer my question, apologies if it's already been covered. Right, so let's get to the point.

I bought the Lite version of the game, also downloaded the d20 ruleset (which works fine). I use a 64 bit Vista, think that's worth mentioning. However, my gaming group is currently using the SWSE ruleset, so I downloaded that too. This time though, it didn't quite work. I read the readme, which said to put the ruleset in the user/roaming/FG/rulesets directory. First problem was that I didn't have a ruleset folder, I created one and put the SWSE ruleset inside. When I tried creating a local character with the ruleset it wouldn't open because it couldn't load the root file "base.xml". I checked the SWSE folder but the base file is there.

That's my problem. Any ideas from the helpful folk here? My hard disk is split in two, my OS is on the first drive, while I keep games on the second. Could that cause the problem?

Thanks in advance and sorry if it's already been covered before!

Yeah, the Lite version of FG doesn't support local rulesets. It instead downloads an encrypted version from the GM of whatever ruleset he/she is running.

- Obe
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Aha! I knew there was a simple enough answer to that.

I'm usually smart enough to figure out such stuff for myself, not this time though *hangs head in shame*.

I have installed the Full version (and, yes, my license key is correct); and none of my files/folders have the "base.xml" and so, I can't load up anything except the 'foundation' ruleset. Does anyone have a copy of that file? would someone mind posting it?
    Reading is good.

There's no "universal" base.xml. It comes with any ruleset you choose to install. You need to place the ruleset folder within the "Application Data Folder/rulesets" folder.

Thread Information