STAR TREK 2d20

Picture and map transfer problems

Hi everyone!

When I tried to join our last FG II Cthulhu session (up to that time everything worked perfectly) I was suddenly unable to see the pictures the GM tried to share. Also the program told me there was a "Runtime error: Cache file write error".

From time to time the pictures suddenly show (after a couple of minutes), while they appeared almost instantly for the other players. It can't be a bandwidth problem though, both me and the GM have very high bandwidth and we also tried a one on one session so that the bandwidth wasn't shared among multiple players.

The othere players had no problems.

My actions so far:

- reinstall the whole program
    - delele all cache files
    - make sure firewall ports are open
    - check read/write rights on all relevant directories
    - make sure the registry pointers towards the directories and such are ok

Some people here on the forums seem to have had problems of the same nature, but none of the suggested solutions worked for me.

Attached ouy find a screenshot of what the error messages looked like.

Can someone help me out here? Any help would be appreciated.

Did you uncheck QoS scheduling? It has had some effect for me.

- Obe
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

As a player you don't need to mess with ports, unless you have a very unusual setup. Firewall are different but if you can connect and open your character you are usually OK though you can get into some oddball cases - which don't seem to apply in your case.

The cache write error implies there is a problem with FG writing to you cache. Where is that cache? Did you install FG to a non default location? If you have Vista and you installed as administrator you would have broke virtualization which would cause this problem. Do you have any security software that prevents writes to "hidden file and folder areas?"
    Last edited by Griogre; April 4th, 2009 at 19:38.

How exactly can I uncheck the QoS thing?

The program is not installed to a default location - its on a different partition but since it was installed there all the time I don't think the install location is the problem. It worked perfectly before.

I disabled the user management thing (not sure about the english name of that one) so I thin i have all the admin rights I am supposed to have.

I tried to disable all anti-virus and firewall so active software should not be a problem....

We're getting the same problem

We're running it through Hamachi and got that QoS thing checked of

Hi all,

We experience a similar Problem on Startup "Runtime error: Cache file write error". We also get the known Token not found (404) Error. Both only on startup.

It does not happen in a new camaign, only on an old one. It is based on the JPG Ruleset. Any Ideas?

Fenloh

That error happens if you've used player portraits as tokens and the player is not connected.

As near as I can tell it doesn't end up having any actual effect.

A couple other notes:
    * You can also get the cache error if you try to run two client instances of FG on the same machine. Check your Task Manager to make sure you only have one running.
    * The speed of display of tokens and maps is not only affected by your overall bandwidth, but the latency on your network (i.e. running YouTube in the background, etc.) as well as the capability of your graphics card (i.e. running on laptop with integrated graphics memory, older graphics card, running another DirectX app at the same time).

I've had slow transfers come up a bit in my games, but it's usually a player that got distracted by another intensive application (watching videos, playing another game at same time), or someone on their home network was downloading a bunch of files (i.e. LimeWire, BitTorrent, ...).

Cheers,
    JPG

The Problem with the Char Portraits may occur when a char got deleted. It seems that there is a Protrait saved somewhere in the Cache of the Server. We will look into that, since it was an "old" campaign it may well be, that the Problem does not occur in the new ruleset, which is now based on the 4e_JPG Ruleset.

Maybe the Cache write Error occured because of the very same thing. Tomorrow we open up a new Campaign, and then we will see. I did not know, that the Data we used today was copied from the old ruleset....

Fenloh

Thread Information