5E Character Create Playlist

Module won't Load

I am working on making some 4e Modules since I havent seen any complete ones yet, so I figured I'd work on a book for SnG's.. Well I am using a 3.5e module as a base, I went into the definition.xml and changed the ruleset to "4E_JPG", re-archived it as a .rar, renamed it to .mod and put it in my modules folder. It still doesnt show up on the module list..

any suggestions?

Also, if any of you are out there making a 4e module, Let's collab, you make a book, and Ill make a book (that way nobody wastes time)

thanks!

Modules need to be plain zip. Not rar, not zip 7. Just zip.

The sharing/trading/exchanging of WOTC's intellectual property is a no no. There really is no legal way to collaborate on module creation.

However there are tools which can be found on FourUglyMonsters.com which will aid you in converting your own PDF files into modules designed to be used with 4E_JPG

ah, didnt realize we couldnt produce any material in the mods (even though there are monsters and such in existing mods?) so Nix that idea lol

What if I made a module for my OWN use though, just dont distribute it for anybody? and if mods are in zip format, why does it say for example "3.5E-Spells.mod"?

The 3.5 stuff is produced under the OGL. The GSL for 4E does not allow for reproducing of monster stats/power stats/etc.

It is "fair use" to convert something you own to another format. For example I can take a CD and convert the songs to MP3s and listen to them on my computer. However if I then email those songs to other people, I have crossed the legal line.

The files are named .mod but they really are just plain ZIP files. You want to zip them and then change the extension to mod

Fair enough. Okay so I did basically that before posting here, but I .rar'ed them vs .zip'ed them. let me try to zip them and rename the extension and see if that works. thanks!

ah okay it worked... sorta

I made a copy of the 3.5e-monsters, renamed what I needed to and then loaded it with 4E_JPEG, the module loaded and I activated it, then clicked on it in the library. When I clicked a monster name though the console window popped up with a list of errors then it crashes.

Because the structure of a 4E monster/power/item/trap is significantly different than the 3.5 version.

Now I can go in there, and manually create stuff, and export it as a module and it will show me the new structure wont it?

Yes it will. However if you are trying to recreate the entire monster manual, you should check out the 4E forum on Four Ugly Monsters and look into the parsers as they will be significantly faster than doing it manually

Hmm.. I will look into them. For right now Im trying to convert some old 2nd ed. store-bought dungeons into FG for 4e, and then ill work on a book or so, thanks for all the help.

Thread Information