Fantasy Grounds Message Boards FAQ
Here you can find answers to questions about how the board works. Use the links or search box below to find your way around.
Running Fantasy Grounds on Mac or Linux
Many users are successfully running Fantasy Grounds using one of the following tools: Parallels, Crossover or Wine.
Not Getting Emails from Forum or Store?
Questions about support for your Kickstarter Project
Do you have a Publisher license with SmiteWorks?
If not, you need one. This outlines how the products will be sold and distributed and how royalties and commissions are divided out. Look below for more information but don't proceed at all until this has been addressed.
Does your Kickstarter require a new ruleset or new game mechanics that don't already exist in Fantasy Grounds?
If so, then you probably should not do this as part of a Kickstarter. Deliver your KS project without FG first and then investigate how you can build a ruleset. A ruleset should be developed and built by you or someone close to you before you ever consider adding it to a Kickstart project as a reward or add-on. These are not trivial to build and take a significant amount of time and effort. In most cases, we (SmiteWorks) is not interested in building a new system. While we would like to help you, we simply don't have the resources to build additional rulesets.
What sort of products are easy to add support to Fantasy Grounds?
Generally, adventure modules, map packs and token packs are the easiest to add to Fantasy Grounds. You will need to provide images, maps in both DM and player view and make sure they will work with a grid attached to them per 5' step. Hidden items should be in a separate layer and you should ensure that you have all the necessary rights to redistribute any art that you use in your product. That is true regardless of whether or not FG is a part of your project.
What sort of products require special attention and discussion for use in Fantasy Grounds?
Anything that deals with the mechanics of an existing ruleset requires special attention. For instance, if you have a list of 5E NPCs or spells, these have to be worded in the same exact syntax used by the official D&D products; otherwise, the automation within Fantasy Grounds will not work for them and your product will become a display and reference-only product. If that is the case, you should make sure this is clear in your product and project description. Similarly, character classes, pre-generated character, new character options, spells, magic items and equipment all have a very specific format that you will have to match.
Can you help connect us with a developer to do the conversion work for our project?
Possibly. We have a lot of highly skilled developers, artists and content producers for Fantasy Grounds. One thing to consider is that most of these people are fans first, though, and may not be as dependable as contract developers. If real life gets in the way, these helpers may not be able to complete the project as intended and then you will have to find a replacement to pick up and complete the work. For this reason, we generally recommend contacting us early before you consider doing this work.
What if I already have a developer?
This is great. Your royalty percentage in your Publisher Agreement with us will be higher as a result since we don't have to pay the developer.
What if I already have the Fantasy Grounds conversions complete and ready now?
This is the best case scenario. Our biggest concern with becoming an official part of your project is managing expectations and delivering a good quality product in a reasonable amount of time. We would still want to review the product to ensure it matches with our quality standards, but if it does, then you will most likely receive a stamp of approval from us and the whole process will be much easier.
Will you help us advertise our project?
If you have followed all the steps above, then we would be happy to help you advertise your project.
Don't bite off more than you can chew. I have seen many Kickstarter projects get wrapped up in having a successful Kickstarter Project, that they get completely overwhelmed with she amount of work and deliveries that they have to provide. If you want to run a PDF and physical book version of your Kickstarter, we can always work with you to make Fantasy Grounds versions after the fact.
EULA - End User License Agreement
END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR FANTASY GROUNDS
NOTICE TO USERS: CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING LEGAL AGREEMENT. USE OF THE FANTASY GROUNDS SOFTWARE PROVIDED WITH THIS AGREEMENT (THE "SOFTWARE") CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, DO NOT INSTALL AND/OR USE THE SOFTWARE. USER'S USE OF THIS SOFTWARE IS CONDITIONED UPON COMPLIANCE BY USER WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
1. LICENSE GRANT. SmiteWorks USA LLC grants you a license to use copies of this SOFTWARE on one or more systems for as many licenses as you purchase. "You" means the individual or family living at the same physical residence, whose funds are used to pay the license fee, or the recipient of a gift where the buyer purchased it exclusively for a single recipient. "Use" means storing, loading, installing, executing, or displaying the SOFTWARE. You may not modify the SOFTWARE or disable any licensing or control features of the SOFTWARE except as an intended part of the SOFTWARE's programming features detailed on the fantasygrounds.com website by duly authorized representatives of SmiteWorks. This license is not transferable to another organization. You may transfer a license to another individual once if the software has not been used on any system and you are the original buyer of the license. You may transfer the license to any private system you own. You are not allowed to install a license on any publicly accessible system where the license key would be visible to others.
2. OWNERSHIP. The SOFTWARE is owned and copyrighted by SmiteWorks, Ltd. Your license confers no title or ownership in the SOFTWARE and should not be construed as a sale of any right in the SOFTWARE .
3. COPYRIGHT. The SOFTWARE is protected by copyright law of the United States of America and international treaty provisions. You acknowledge that no title to the intellectual property in the SOFTWARE is transferred to you. You further acknowledge that title and full ownership rights to the SOFTWARE will remain the exclusive property of SmiteWorks, Ltd and you will not acquire any rights to the SOFTWARE except as expressly set forth in this license. You agree that any copies of the SOFTWARE will contain the same proprietary notices which appear on and in the SOFTWARE.
4. REVERSE ENGINEERING. You agree that you will not attempt to reverse compile, modify, translate, or disassemble the SOFTWARE in whole or in part.
5. NO OTHER WARRANTIES. SMITEWORKS, LTD DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SOFTWARE IS ERROR FREE. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WIHTOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY MAY LAST, OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION.
6. SEVERABILITY. In the event of invalidity of any provision of this license, the parties agree that such invalidity shall not affect the validity of the remaining portions of this license.
7. NO LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT SHALL SMITEWORKS USA LLC OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR INDIRECT DAMAGES OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF THE DELIVERY, PERFORMANCE OR USE OF THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF SMITEWORKS USA LLC HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT WILL SMITEWORKS USA LLC'S LIABILITY FOR ANY CLAIM, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR ANY OTHER THEORY OF LIABILITY, EXCEED THE LICENSE FEE PAID BY YOU, IF ANY.
8. GOVERNING LAW. This license will be governed by the laws of the United States of America as they are applied to agreements between United States residents entered into and to be performed entirely within the United States of America. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods is specifically disclaimed.
9. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This is the entire agreement between you and SmiteWorks USA LLC which supersedes any prior agreement or understanding, whether written or oral, relating to the subject matter of this license.
IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, DO NOT INSTALL, USE OR DISTRIBUTE THIS SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
Copyright 2004-2016 SmiteWorks USA LLC
How do I uninstall Fantasy Grounds?
To uninstall Fantasy Grounds, please follow the steps below:
- Click on the Windows key or the Windows Start button
- Select All Apps (or Programs for older versions of Windows)
- Locate the Fantasy Grounds program group and expand the section
- Click on Uninstall
- Follow the onscreen instructions