FG Spreadshirt Swag
View RSS Feed

Rialacha Teach Mhorgunna

Keep to the right

Rate this Entry
My wife, Yoko has a friend named Allison. Every Saturday, these two ladies do there own version of dungeon delving. They traverse the dangers of traffic and other road hazards to reach a mystical location … called a store. There they battle other adventurers, hunting for what treasures can be found. Allison seems to be questing for scented candles. They have been doing this for what I suspect has been a long time, nearing a score of years. (Yes I know it is more fashionable to say two decades, but it's a score.You know … “Four Score and seven years ago ..” and all that.) I am pretty sure in this because when we as a couple explore a place, whether we are shopping or on vacation, we follow Allison's mantra:

“Keep to the right.”

As the boys were playing the last session, I kept hearing this mantra in my head. They had the last time dealt with the Red Brand Guards outside the complex and the two that were in the supply room. The party had blundered past the pit trap and made it to the crypt. There I had the three skeletons I had altered. Given when they destroyed the bone banes (Ooooo! That's not a bad name.) they were dealing about 17 points of damage (fire/piercing) in a reactionary attack. The Barbarian tried to push one of the skeletons into the pit with the idea of containment. He chose to do a shield bash rather than a grapple and unfortunately did enough damage to cause it to explode. The thief, meanwhile had come up with an interesting plan. He emptied a small barrel and filled it with water. (In doing so he discovered the Wizard Glasstaff's escape bundle hidden in the cistern.) He meant to douse the one caught in the pit, thus hopefully, negating the fire surrounding the skeleton. A good plan … until maybe I asked him to make a strength rool to empty the barrel. The thief … dropped it. With the fall damage, enough was done to set off the explosion. This engagement left two of the party rolling death saving throws. It used up all of the Cleric's spell slots and left the party smarting. I considered my new monsters a success. My players were … perhaps … not so happy.

“Keep to the right.”

This now left the crypt free to be explored. And then Will the Cleric spoke up.

“Guys! Don't you think we should do a more thorough search of the supply room?”

So they split the party. In the crypt, there was the choice of two doors. One leads to the armory and the other … to the slave pens … the very jail that holds Jim's other character, the Countess. She is high spirited. And why not … Jim is playing her. However she is pretty much cowed. And all it took was threatening the other prisoners. (Making a note to self.) They were literary a door away from rescue. Admittedly, the guards were forewarned and ready, but all they have to do is go through the door.

“Keep to the right.”

Then the Barbarian … Barbarian <shaking head> (Jim's other character), found the secret door … and off they went … in the opposite direction.

“Keep to the right.”

This led them to the crevasse section, where they encountered the Nothic but did not engage. It did touch a few minds, giving the party the willies.

“Keep to the right.”

This area led to four paths. The first one would of looped around back to the rescue of the Countess. The second would have taken the adventurers, possibly, to the secret entrance to Glasstaff's quarters, thus surprising the mage. The third led to the common room and guard room. The fourth and last, is the secret tunnel out where another party of Red Brands are on guard. They chose Door number three.

There was a groan as the Barbarian, in a murder hobo style, kicked in the door, discovers the opposition were Bug Bears. This was our stopping place … with 5 days in between before we can pick up again. I know they, the players, are most concerned for the characters. Jim has, on off time, been running battle simulations. As there was some question due to my vacation, I made an announcement as to reaffirm our playing schedule. When I joked that we would be playing the second night … unless … of course I killed them off. Jim responded with that it was indeed a strong possibility. He's right, you know. They saw a room with three Bug Bears … and something little that scurried under a bed. What they don't know is that I replaced one of the Bug Bears … the one named Mosk, with a Bug Bear Chief. It has multi attack, and more hit points than the original monster, and if that isn't enough, it sports a dashing bejeweled eye patch.

Again Jim might be right. This might very well just turn into a T.P.K. And if it does … what do I hope the party will take away from all this?

“Keep to the right.”

Submit "Keep to the right" to Digg Submit "Keep to the right" to del.icio.us Submit "Keep to the right" to Google Submit "Keep to the right" to Facebook Submit "Keep to the right" to Twitter

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

DICE PACKS BUNDLE