DICE PACKS BUNDLE
View RSS Feed

Natural Plenty

Rem's 5E Crafting System - Introduction

Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
How I Got to Where I Needed a Crafting System in My Campaign:
Ah the good ole Dungeon Master's Guide. My favorite book in the entirety of the D&D Collection. I flip through it constantly, devouring information, plotting ways to challenge the PCs in my campaign, planning out vast worlds with diverse storylines and so much more.

One day during our D&D session, Ielenia, my group's Elven Druid said to me after we were wrapping up the session: "Hey Rem, can I just craft some potions?"
Now, we use Discord for voice communication, so she couldn't see the look on my face. But if she could, I imagine she would describe it as some cross between bewilderment, a loss for words, and sudden intrigue.
Naturally, I cracked open my handy-dandy DMG, and flipped to the Crafting Rules. And then... my dismay sunk in.

Now typically, I'm something of a "fangirl" of all things Wizards of the Coast and Official D&D content. So at first, I tried not to feel... disappointed... by the Crafting Rules set out in the DMG. But, as an adult, we often have to be honest with ourselves about our feelings. So, yes, I was disappointed.

And then, I started cracking away at it.

I planned a long list of Professions. Then I pruned a bunch because my play group didn't want too many. Then I combined some, and reworked some ideas.

And then I really went to town with it.

Let Me Introduce You To Rem's 5E Crafting System

Over the next few blog posts I'll be sharing ALL the details of this Crafting System I've come up with, as it is still VERY MUCH a work in progress.
But today, I'd like to share some of the basics of it!

Attachment 16928
In our world, if the Player Character's travel to a town where there is a Blacksmithing building or shop, they can see if there is, for example, a Master Weaponsmith, who would be willing to teach them his or her trade.

Attachment 16929
Now, in this screenshot, ignore the top portion that talks about Enchanting Scrolls for just the time being. I will discuss that aspect of my system in a further blog post, as my design decision for that aspect requires some explanation.
Here, however, you can see the results of my Profession options pruning, and what Professions we ended up with.

• Alchemists: Make potions and stuff. They can transmute things at higher level. Once a Character becomes Skilled (Level 2 basically) or higher, they gain the permanent perk: You can imbibe or administer potions in combat as a Bonus Action.

• Armorsmith: They make armor made from metal: Chain, Plate, etc. Just not Leather armor, and certainly not clothing. That's someone else's job. The Level 2 Armorsmith Perk is +1 to CON. Forever.

• Fashion Designer: Okay, okay, I know the name sounds silly. But these folks make clothing, leather armor, disguises, costumes, AND Jewelry. You got a better name? Designer Level 2 Perk: A Custom-made Cantrip called Dazzle. Can be cast even by people who are not Spellcasters.

• Melee Weaponsmith: Another pretty obvious title. These folks make Axes, and Hammers, and Maces and so on. Level 2 Perk: +1 bonus to all damage rolls if using a weapon you made for yourself. (This perk scales) More info in further posts.

• Ranged Weaponsmith: Your friendly neighborhood bow-maker (bowyer?) These people also make guns, if guns are in your world (they're sort of in ours) arrows, crossbows, javelins, darts, etc. Level 2 Perk: +1 bonus to all damage rolls if using a weapon you made for yourself. (This perk scales) More info in further posts.

• Tinker: My favorite profession. Since our world has gunpowder, tinkers love making things go BOOM! They make bombs, and all kinds of nifty things like listening devices (think: a stick enchanted with Clairaudience) that they can stick under doorways and listen in on private conversations. Yeah, tinkers are pretty awesome. Level 2 Perk: Can use any crafted Tinker's items (such as Bombs) as a Bonus Action in combat.

In the next few blog posts I'll share more details on the specifics, details on each Profession and how they work, how the System itself works, how you can implement it in your worlds, how you can tweak it, and so much more!

Submit "Rem's 5E Crafting System - Introduction" to Digg Submit "Rem's 5E Crafting System - Introduction" to del.icio.us Submit "Rem's 5E Crafting System - Introduction" to Google Submit "Rem's 5E Crafting System - Introduction" to Facebook Submit "Rem's 5E Crafting System - Introduction" to Twitter

Updated December 15th, 2016 at 18:40 by Remedeez

Categories
Crafting

Comments

Nice start "[B]Remedeez[/B]"
    this your Blog helps all DMs and players I'm 100% sure.
    Nice work. You have a really creative idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarianDz
    Nice start "Remedeez"
    this your Blog helps all DMs and players I'm 100% sure.
    Thanks! I hope to help at least 1 person along the way, that'd be awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by LindseyFan
    Nice work. You have a really creative idea!
    Thanks so much!
    Really like the thought you've put into this. I would suggest when you finish it, you turn it into a module so you can share your hard work and benefit us all. I know I would appreciate it

One suggestion, change the skill level names from skilled and professional to journeyman and tradesman. I think you'll find those names (at least for me) to be more medieval and fantasy themed. You also might want to spend a little more time looking up crafting / profession names. I've seen some really goods one on the net, but not sure where.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails
    Really like the thought you've put into this. I would suggest when you finish it, you turn it into a module so you can share your hard work and benefit us all. I know I would appreciate it

One suggestion, change the skill level names from skilled and professional to journeyman and tradesman. I think you'll find those names (at least for me) to be more medieval and fantasy themed. You also might want to spend a little more time looking up crafting / profession names. I've seen some really goods one on the net, but not sure where.
    I thought of making this into a full-blown module, and all that would entail. At the moment I'm really on the fence about it. Not because I don't like sharing, mind you. I love sharing. I love open-source, available to the public, 100% FREE content, and contributing to those too! The reason I'm on the fence is that a lot of the items I've made formulae ("recipes") for come from the DMG, particularly the items of the magically enhanced variety. So in order to make this into a shareable module I'd have to prune out so much stuff that comes from the DMG, and then it would probably end up being... really lackluster. Again, something I'm still considering doing, of course! I just have to find a way to do it that delivers in a way that is satisfying. I hope that all made sense?

I do like the idea of the titles "journeyman" and "tradesman" and I might just employ those. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedeez
    I thought of making this into a full-blown module, and all that would entail. At the moment I'm really on the fence about it. Not because I don't like sharing, mind you. I love sharing. I love open-source, available to the public, 100% FREE content, and contributing to those too! The reason I'm on the fence is that a lot of the items I've made formulae ("recipes") for come from the DMG, particularly the items of the magically enhanced variety. So in order to make this into a shareable module I'd have to prune out so much stuff that comes from the DMG, and then it would probably end up being... really lackluster. Again, something I'm still considering doing, of course! I just have to find a way to do it that delivers in a way that is satisfying. I hope that all made sense?

I do like the idea of the titles "journeyman" and "tradesman" and I might just employ those. Thank you!
    Actually, depending upon what you've done so far, you wouldn't have to prune anything depending upon how you distribute it.

For instance, if you distribute via the DMsGuild, then you can include info (items etc) from the DMG (or other official source) so it wouldn't matter.

If you distribute elsewhere (including the forum), if you include the OGL, then you can still provide links to official source items (i.e. a link to a magic item in the DMG, but not a copy of the item itself). Rob2e does this with his 5e Random Monster Tables (though he distributes through the DMsG).

PM me if you want my help figuring it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails
    Actually, depending upon what you've done so far, you wouldn't have to prune anything depending upon how you distribute it.

For instance, if you distribute via the DMsGuild, then you can include info (items etc) from the DMG (or other official source) so it wouldn't matter.

If you distribute elsewhere (including the forum), if you include the OGL, then you can still provide links to official source items (i.e. a link to a magic item in the DMG, but not a copy of the item itself). Rob2e does this with his 5e Random Monster Tables (though he distributes through the DMsG).

PM me if you want my help figuring it out.

Most definitely! When I finish it up I'll hunt you down and have you take a looksie and give me advice on where to go with it from there, if you don't mind.
    Cough...cough.... I need this now....whats the hold up??
FG Spreadshirt Swag