DICE PACKS BUNDLE
View RSS Feed

ddavison

VTT Comparison Chart between the different versions of Fantasy Grounds vs Roll20

Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Before you choose the VTT that is best for you, it might make sense to look over this short summary chart that compares the primary named features. I know it can be expanded out further since sometimes a single line item on a chart doesn't adequately describe or convey the importance of the item at work. In order to fully compare the two, it might be worth checking out the free 30-day trial of Fantasy Grounds and also trying the free version of Roll20. At the end of the day, there is a limited free version and a monthly subscription version of each. With FG, you can buy a 1-time license if you don't want to pay any ongoing subscriptions.

This chart focuses primarily on D&D fifth edition, but each system is capable of running nearly any game system you want to run. Fantasy Grounds has secured the most official licenses of any other system, so that will probably weigh on your decision as well if you plan to run Call of Cthulhu, Savage Worlds or one of the many other systems we officially support. If you intend to build everything on your own, then your focus will likely fall on which VTT gives you the best options to build from or the one with the best community mods available for you to use.

Without further ado, here is the Roll20 vs Fantasy Grounds comparison chart.

Submit "VTT Comparison Chart between the different versions of Fantasy Grounds vs Roll20" to Digg Submit "VTT Comparison Chart between the different versions of Fantasy Grounds vs Roll20" to del.icio.us Submit "VTT Comparison Chart between the different versions of Fantasy Grounds vs Roll20" to Google Submit "VTT Comparison Chart between the different versions of Fantasy Grounds vs Roll20" to Facebook Submit "VTT Comparison Chart between the different versions of Fantasy Grounds vs Roll20" to Twitter

Comments

Just took a look - nice work Doug.

A small niggle - on the "Can Host Game Offline (LAN Game)" Entry it says "Yes" for the FG Full Version and "Yes - but can't host free users". On first glance this seems to indicate (to me, at least) that the Full version is "better" than the Ultimate version. Shouldn't the same "Yes - but can't host free users" be used for both - I know the Full-Free issue is covered a few lines later, but still...?

Cheers
    Cool chart. The info on Roll20 for "Advertisements" doesn't line up properly though.
    Updated August 2nd, 2016 at 12:00 by Mortar
    Nice!
    This is a great chart. I'm a huge fan of Fantasy Grounds, and love all of it's features. A chart like this is a great way for developers to have a look and see what maybe they should look at implementing and improving the product, not to mention helping consumers decide!
    In the spirit of fairness, it is worth mentioning Roll20's tablet support. Some of my (more vocal) players want me to migrate to Roll20 for that reason alone, really. They really aren't prominent PC users, and that's what works for them, and so it's a huge draw. I'll be using this chart to tell them, this is why we use Fantasy Grounds, but I'd like to concede that one point, because it is a very nice feature.
    And of course there is the one hidden line... Can talk openly about competitors without getting banned. FG: Yes Roll 20: No.

I do love the chart. It will be quite useful in spreading the word.
    Doug,
    Is this list update to date as of today. If not, what are the odds of getting an updated list. A lot of ppl need to know. There is a lot of mis-information about FG. This is a useful tool. Strange that I don't see similar lists from your FG's competitors.
    This was accurate as of July 2016. If you see anything that needs to be updated or if you know any areas that need to be modified, please post them here and we will update it and repost it. I will also plan to add a date to the document so that people know when the data was last updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavison
    This was accurate as of July 2016. If you see anything that needs to be updated or if you know any areas that need to be modified, please post them here and we will update it and repost it. I will also plan to add a date to the document so that people know when the data was last updated.
    I'd update it to reflect the price drop on 5E items if that's even possible with as varied as those discounts are.
    I'm doing an update on this now. Does anyone know if Roll20 provides support for Rollable tables or anything like we have for the Story Templates?
    I just updated this if people want to look it over and make suggested edits.
    Nice update. Does Roll20 still have a jukebox? I thought that API got killed awhile ago. I know there was talk of some sort of replacement, but not sure if it came to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoman1
    Doug,
    Is this list update to date as of today. If not, what are the odds of getting an updated list. A lot of ppl need to know. There is a lot of mis-information about FG. This is a useful tool. Strange that I don't see similar lists from your FG's competitors.
    The only other one I know of is; http://battlegroundsgames.com/vtt-comparison-chart/
    One important omission in the chart - support for unicode characters. In simpler words, support for non-English letters and characters. It's a total disaster in FG (it uses ISO/IEC 8859-1 developed back in 1987), whereas the roll20 does support any language letters.
    I know you probably have just pulled your head out and gotten a full nights rest, but can add an update of this to your "Things to Do after FGU is released"?
STAR TREK 2d20