DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails
    Just in case you hadn't noticed, this is what helps to make a good DM:
    - out of character communication, and
    - the willingness to adapt your storyline/vision to the players.

Keep up the good work
    Oh I totally agree. Two sessions ago, I had planned an encounter with up to 3 waves of Cocatrice. I ask what level they felt like that night and they replied medium. Yep waves and two petrified characters later they all agreed they had gotten exactly what they had asked for. And left the table happy.

What gob smacked me was I had been doing touching base all along. Jim I knew wasn't happy. He's a good player but has to be reminded to let others shine. I had two other players in mind which this one. He wasn't happy that he had to wait for the spotlight.

Twenty minutes before the meltdown, I had just touched base with all the players and they seemed onboard. Even Jim seemed to finally be coming around. Then BAM!!!! Hit the wall and had to do some reavaluating fast. I asked the players questions on what was bothering them and their input on what would make it fun again. As you pointed out those two axioms are golden. But a good DM also has to know that when you are playing sometimes things can change on a dime and at best you have to back up a bit and pick up the pieces.
    Just in case you hadn't noticed, this is what helps to make a good DM:
    - out of character communication, and
    - the willingness to adapt your storyline/vision to the players.

Keep up the good work
    very interesting, thanks for Idea
    funny ;)
    Nice entry - brought back a few memories of "helping" out my own players.

The two greatest curses of all time:

1) May you live in interesting times.

2) Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

And a corollary to the above:

a) Be wary of the GM, for they are quick to give you what you want, in very interesting ways.
    Nice find, I have never seen that one before but I have used the one for the HarnMaster system before.
    Just to satisfy the curious ... Droop poops two coins a day at present.
    heh Sounds like fun.
    I agree, nicely done. Might be a little doodle to you, but proportions and coloring are all well done. I too would hope to see the original.
    I wanna see the original!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Serious, nice work. Do you do commissions, or would you consider such a thing?
    Great idea! Once they have their fancy badges, you can bring in a group of NPC's with even fancier badges. Presto, instant rivals! Love it!

~P
    nice part :)
    I'm big on Heraldry (there's a book manuscript lying around here somewhere... must get back to it...) and so I have my players' characters come up with "real" Heraldic Achievements (& make them pay the Houses of Heraldry for the "privilege"). Not only does it inspire all the good things Mhorgunn mentions above, but it really suits the FRPG "feel" to use "real" heraldry (the rules, not actual IRL Achievements).

And drawing them is a snap - not only are there a plethora of free online programs (although a lot of them are terrible in following the "rules") but I also use CC3 (and other graphics packages) to draw them up.

So yeah, get your players more into the game by awarding them "Achievements" other than just plain ol' gold
    Sounds like a good time
    Good to hear about another convert. And you tell a captivating story.

I like that skeleton idea. A lot, I'm going to to steal, err, appropriate it for my own!
    continue, continue ...
    Tease! Now I want to know what he does *G*
    Thanx for good reading :)
    Thanks!
    My was bat followed with rat :p
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
STAR TREK 2d20