Blog Comments

I would debate that there is anyone who is more "professional" than those of us who have been GMing for a number of years.

I take your point on your time being valuable - I consider my time valuable as well - but it come back to the idea of "Prostitution" - just because you charge people to have sex with you doesn't make you better at sex (or more importantly, better at "making love"), it just makes you better at milking people for money for an activity that the rest of us engage in and enjoy for free.
    Updated September 30th, 2017 at 16:18 by dulux-oz
    The fact that some are willing to pay for someone to provide them with a more "professional" gaming experience strikes me as no less reasonable, or distasteful, than paying someone to cook them a meal.

I know that my time is my most valuable commodity. And the only reason I don't run pay-to-play games is because I seriously doubt anyone would be willing to pay me what my time is worth. But, make no mistake, in order for me to justify running more than the games I do run... I'd need to put a price on that commodity.

Welcome to the wide world of capitalism. Which, btw, is the only reason this industry even exists.
    "Distasteful" I agree. Following through with the sex analogy, it makes me feel similarly as to when I think of prostitution. I have trouble finding a moral objection to sex for money, but it (like paid GMing) gives me a sense of ... sorrow and regret. I guess I would feel better about paying for play (& sex) if it was in addition to a 'free' relationship(s) and not as a substitute or alternative.

I understand social anxiety, and the difficulty many have finding friends (or lovers), but it truly is worth the adversity to find that group of friends to play an RPG with. Its possible, the RPG community is full of unique people with every type of difference.

Yea, paid GMing/gaming is a thing. I've seen people over the last year advertising for such on various forums and blogs and a few video teasers. I'll be surprised if it ever becomes very successful over a wide spectrum.
    Wow is this really a thing?
    Absolutely agree, I think "distasteful" is the most apt descriptor.
    Interesting thoughts. I think this ties in with Ego. By itself, ego is not a bad thing. Being driven by it is.

Addiction, to me, is being driven by a need for something. Akin to ego, Need is not bad, being driven by it is.

I too ask questions, different ones, but introspection and reflection is a good thing. If we don't ask ourselves why we do things, and if we should be doing them, and reflect upon them, then their is a very real possibility that we will do things out of habit and not to help build a better future us.
    Thanks for the laughs
    But what is the second and first most embarrassing ways to die in Australia?!?!? I've got to know! Please?
    Thanks MD.

If you liked this post then you may like to check out the others from my Blog

Cheers
    Nice Dulux-Oz please continue in writting blogs like this, because this kind of informations are most valuable for every new adventurer and DM too. Seems to me like Im reading old parchment covered with dust of ages, hidden for years in secret chamber, written by old wise and experienced man. All words which he put to this "masterpiece" scroll are carefully choosen, and messages clear for everyone. Hope my dices give me success roll again and I could find another scroll like this was
    Updated September 20th, 2016 at 10:30 by MarianDz
    I didn't realise anyone was interested - I'll post Part 2 ASAP
    I'm still waiting to learn how you got the felt to fit from a single piece
    Don't forget that the weights I used were based on historical coins, not modern ones - a 10g coin was a very heavy coin for its day

But yeah, I like to ask my players similar questions (its also good for when they've got very expensive rugs to get out of the dungeon )
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz
    Yeah, I always felt that was to heavy for a coin. One of the DnD versions (I can't remember which one) said 100 coins per pound, and another Fantasy RGP has said 150 coins per pound.

As I said in my post I like to be "historically" accurate, but in all honesty as long as you're consistent I don't really think it matters
    True, consistency is key. But don't forget that modern coins are using alloys to make them light, maybe back in the day they were actually heavier. 10g a coint for the 50 to 1lb doesn't sound too bad although you have 3.5g

I just wanted something for when my PC's find 100,000 cp and say we will take them :-) I like to ask how
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer
    I did a weight calculator for 5e and 4e. The PHB does say 50 coins to 1lb

http://www.bluedreamer.com/money/
    Yeah, I always felt that was to heavy for a coin. One of the DnD versions (I can't remember which one) said 100 coins per pound, and another Fantasy RGP has said 150 coins per pound.

As I said in my post I like to be "historically" accurate, but in all honesty as long as you're consistent I don't really think it matters

Been a long time since I listened to this, now I can't stop.
    I did a weight calculator for 5e and 4e. The PHB does say 50 coins to 1lb

http://www.bluedreamer.com/money/
    That is the first time I have ever seen the beer comparison brought into that. Love it!
    Oh. BTW. I was mystified, saddened, ..., something, when I saw your post back in January, I think it was: "I am outta here!" to do other things. I hope you're found a way to do both, FG and other things. And welcome back.
    I believe there is an accolades meter at least on the blogs: the view count. If one is obcessed with the view count, one my be an accolades addict. I try not to look at the view count, but it is hard to ignore. Especially given the time it takes to write a blog, at least for me. One post took me nearly an entire day, writing, rewriting and editing, polishing. When one puts that much effort into a piece of writing one would like to know if anyone is out there. There are some great blogs here, some with some very help information (this isn't a plug!). One day I sat down and read every blog on the FG site, all the way back to the first one. There are some great ones there, marching their way into obscurity. Keep up the good work!
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last