PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Homed IP

IronMaiden
March 24th, 2009, 20:53
I run a system with Multiple IP addresses. Not only do I have a public address on the system, but I run 2 private addresses and I run VMWare on the box so I have 2 additional vmnet1 / vmnet8 IP addresess.

When Fantasy Grounds launches, it wants to show one of the non public IP addresses and it's not editable.

Any support for Multi-Homed system gonna happen, or are my 10 licenses wasted ?

unerwünscht
March 24th, 2009, 21:53
I am on a multi-network system with 3 external, and 4 internal IP addresses, and the application works just fine. It randomly detects an IP address at launch, and that IP address is what gets bound to the Alias function, but you can still have people enter your direct IP address and they should be able to connect if everything is configured correctly.

You may also have the option of setting a a batch file to shut down the other network connections right before launching Fantasy Grounds, this would allow you to grab the IP you want inside Fantasy Grounds.

EugeneZ
March 24th, 2009, 21:54
The LAN IP address that FG2 shows is largely irrelevant. I'm actually not entirely sure what the point in displaying this in FG is. I suspect it's to make life easier if you need to punch a hole in your firewall.

FG2 already comes with an excellent IP-agnostic system called an "alias." If you choose to use an alias when starting your campaign (it's on the launcher screen) FG2 will assign a random four-word alias to you. Every time you launch your campaign, it will notify the central server (www.fantasygrounds.com) with your alias and IP. When a player connects and uses the alias, the server will respond with your current public IP address.

In other words, as long as you're using aliases and have properly configured your firewall to support your multi-IP setup, you're good to go. Enjoy your ten licenses.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Oberoten
March 24th, 2009, 22:40
Also with the test version it will now show internal AND external IP. :) That is a SWEET addition.

- Obe

IronMaiden
March 24th, 2009, 22:41
Good to know....

No firewall here, all public ... so no punching needed

I'll see how everyone connects later tonight then

Foen
March 24th, 2009, 23:03
It isn't just firewalls that need circumventing, it is also routers (for port forwarding). The internal IP address is handy for configuring your router in that respect.

F.

Griogre
March 24th, 2009, 23:37
Yeah and should you have a player on your local LAN you want them to connect using the local IP address.

EugeneZ
March 25th, 2009, 01:32
I had always referred to routers as having built-in firewalls. Maybe my terminology is incorrect.

Griogre
March 25th, 2009, 07:14
Most routers have firewalls. These days pretty much any box between you and the Internet has a firewall in it - including broadband "modems" and switches. Normally most Windows computers have a software firewall as well. Modern software firewalls are not truely disabled by being shut off. They basically "freeze" and if you are trying to open a port this means you can't open the port until you restart the firewall.

The other important step in setting up FG so you can run a server is to port forward through the router and every other box with a firewall in it to the correct PC on a local LAN. That local addess tells you what the FG's Server local addess is which you usually need to setup port forwarding on the router(s).