PDA

View Full Version : Problem Creating Character

arosado
March 24th, 2009, 17:00
Recently, I have one player who connects and gets to the Character Selection/Creation screen and is unable to create a new character. Another player, during the same session, was able to connect and make a new character.

The player that was unable to make a character could see the screen behind them with everything that was going on, but the character creation/selection screen was in front and not working.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

zabulus
March 24th, 2009, 19:41
I seem to recall the someone else who was having this problem, was able to fix it with an uninstall/reinstall. Are you sure they have a legal version of the program?

arosado
May 26th, 2009, 20:59
Thank you for the reply, and sorry for the delay... ended up having RL issues the past couple of months. The person does have a legal license, as it was a gift from me. I will have them do the uninstall/install and see if that works. Otherwise, I will be back for more help... :P

arosado
May 27th, 2009, 00:51
Tried the uninstall/re-install and it still freezes up at the character creation screen. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated...

taliesin
July 17th, 2009, 02:09
I have a player who has this exact same problem.
It doesn't seem that anyone ever figured out what the problem here was... any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

Griogre
July 17th, 2009, 07:43
Generally speaking most rulesets require the player to connect to the FG server if the player as the lite version of FG. Players with the lite version of FG can only build local characters with PAK rulesets - and only if the that ruleset has been built with that in mind.

Hamish
July 17th, 2009, 07:48
Which ruleset are you using?

taliesin
July 17th, 2009, 20:47
Generally speaking most rulesets require the player to connect to the FG server if the player as the lite version of FG. Players with the lite version of FG can only build local characters with PAK rulesets - and only if the that ruleset has been built with that in mind.

Yep, he has the light version, connected to my computer which was running the full version.
He managed to get it working by "pressing the 'create character' button 4000 times," which is not a solution I find particulary adequate.
It was decided that I would make pre-generated character for the players, so in theory it shouldn't be an issue anymore... at least for the time being.

Griogre
July 17th, 2009, 20:53
There really is something wrong if he has to press the button like that. Most players don't have that problem. What ruleset are you using? It really sounds like he is lagged out from a massive data transfer.

taliesin
July 19th, 2009, 03:28
There really is something wrong if he has to press the button like that. Most players don't have that problem. What ruleset are you using? It really sounds like he is lagged out from a massive data transfer.

The Savage Worlds ruleset. Of 4 people he's the only one that had that problem, on multiple occasions too.

Griogre
July 19th, 2009, 05:53
Hmm, do you know what type of connection he is on? How many common modules (player guides) are you force loading? Has this guy just started playing compared to your other players or had just gotten a new computer or hard drive?

What happens if you just have that player connect by himself and let it sit for like 10-15 minutes and then have the player disconnect and reconnect. Does he have the same problem when he reconnects?