PDA

View Full Version : [CoC] Location of graphics for Personality sheets

Zoetrope
March 23rd, 2009, 02:06
I'm currently preparing a Call of Cthulhu module and want to include a graphic in the Personalities sheet, similar to that which is shown with the creatures in the Denizens and Beasts module.

There is no manual way (AFAIK) of doing this, so you have to edit the db.xml file to insert the appropriate path to the graphic you want to use.

The following line works fine when you create the module:

<picture type="token">campaign/tokens/Keeper/Sheriff Whitford_npc.png</picture>

However, the following line doesn't:

<picture type="token">campaign/denizens/Sheriff Whitford_npc.png</picture>

I cribbed the code from looking at the Denizens and Beasts.mod db.xml file, of course! :D

My reason for wanting to keep the graphics OUT of the tokens directory is so they don't pop up in the tokens box once the module is activated. I only want these graphics to appear in the respective Personality sheets because they are a specific size (300x250 pixels) which is of no use to me elsewhere in the module.

Any idea how I can get these graphics to be in the module but not in the tokens box? Why does the reference to the tokens directory work but not any other directory?

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Z

Zoetrope
March 23rd, 2009, 05:42
With a bit of messing around, I've discovered the solution but it involves additional hacking of the exported db.xml file! ;)

Once the module has been exported, it modifies the file references to the following format:

<picture type="token">tokens/Keeper/Sheriff Whitford_npc.png@Crack'd and Crook'd Manse</picture>

What you have to do is modify the line so that it points to the directory you want to use for your stored graphics, e.g:

<picture type="token">denizens/Sheriff Whitford_npc.png@Crack'd and Crook'd Manse</picture>

You then need to open your newly-created .mod file (which is a Zip file), add the directory (in this case "denziens") and put the graphics into that directory. Voila, it should all now work!!

This allows the graphics to be used without them cropping up as tokens.

Cheers,
Z

Foen
March 23rd, 2009, 07:24
Glad you figured it out Zoetrope, there has been a bug in earlier FG versions which added the image to the tokens box, regardless of the file path, when the Keeper opened the NPC window.

I think that bug was fixed a version or two back, but I haven't tested it.

Foen

Foen
March 23rd, 2009, 07:25
BTW, you might find you have a lot more flexibility if you create your modules manually rather than using export.

Cheers

Foen

Zoetrope
March 23rd, 2009, 07:56
I'm slowly working out how best to hack the code around to suit my needs, but the export function does serve its purpose. As I become more confident messing with the code, I'll try and be more creative! :)

Cheers,
Z

Bidmaron
March 27th, 2009, 03:12
What can you do manually that export can't support if you don't mind me asking?

Foen
March 27th, 2009, 07:01
What can you do manually that export can't support if you don't mind me asking?

Well, if you wanted to add custom spells for an adventure, or a list of new weapons and skills, for example. Similarly, you can create player-side content manually, but not using export.

Griogre
March 27th, 2009, 07:06
Tables. Yuck, :p I've done my share of tables - but they are soooo useful for data display.

Bidmaron
April 3rd, 2009, 15:18
Can you give an example of player-side content in a manual module?

Foen
April 3rd, 2009, 16:10
The 'Game System' CoC reference module is player-side content. It downloads from the host to each connected client and is available to the players from the library.

Stuart