PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Install Errors

lancew
March 22nd, 2009, 22:53
I am having the same issue that SirPinhead is having, mentioned in another thread.

I am installing on Vista, with a full license of FG2. I downloaded the installer today. It installs, then runs an update. I click 'done' then start up the program.

When I try to start the included 'A Tale of Dinor' or when I try to create a new foundation campaign and click 'start' I get the following error:

Error Loading Data

A XML pause error occurred processing file base.xml
Error on line 0: Error Document Empty
Do you want to try reloading the data?

Yes or No

In the application folder I see the foundation.pak, but there is nothing in the AppData directory under rulesets. Also, the foundation.pak is only 65k (this doesn't seem right). Under the AppData modules directory I see four 3.5E-xxx.mod files, but they are all 21 byte files (again, this doesn't seem right).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

masteraries
March 22nd, 2009, 23:18
I have this exact problem....

and checked the same things

Edit: Actually I am missing the foundation ruleset from my AppData....what do i do reinstall (for the third time :'()

cpbs
March 23rd, 2009, 03:11
What I did to fix this problem is that when you uninstall FG II you will need to delete the old folders that it created in your programfiles and also save/move your old app folder of FGII to a back up location. What will happen is that when you install FGII again it will connect with the FG server and install the Foundation rule_set for you again, in full, or at least it did for me. Then I just imported my old campaigns back into the app folder and it all worked out. But again if you are using d20_ruleset you will need to download that separately as FGII will not install it again.

Hope that helps.

lancew
March 23rd, 2009, 14:07
There was no 'old' version to uninstall. This was a brand new install. I have never used the program. And it looks like the installer/updater did install the foundation files, they just don't seem like they could be correct since their file size is so small.

Thanks though.

Blue Haven
March 23rd, 2009, 17:06
Do you have the program control or some crap like that, active...? thats very strange...i have FG on Vista and on XP and i don´t have that problem...the only thing that i think that could cause you troubles, is the annoying user account control (i can´t remember the right name ;)) check it out, maybe he is not letting you install FG right...

Griogre
March 24th, 2009, 02:56
The Vista ACS will have no effect on FG2. Its Vista compatable. Installing FG2 as admin in Vista is bad, though.

To the OP, it sounds like you have a problem downloading. My foundation.pak is 7 megs and the modules are 100k +. If the rest of the installation seems good you might try the test 2.4.0 version. There is something about a fix to the updater in the release notes:

This version also features an updated version of the updater, that should remedy issues with some DNS servers, causing the update process to get interrupted prematurely.

Foen
March 24th, 2009, 07:15
Hmm, there is no foundation.pak in AppData, it is installed in the Program Files folder for FGII.

Also, I think Tale of Dinor might be a d20 adventure, in which case you would need the extra d20 download from the FG downloads page.

Foen

lancew
March 24th, 2009, 23:49
I updated to the beta and everything works now. The foundation.pak file is 7 MB now rather than 65 K.

Griogre
March 24th, 2009, 23:59
If you run with a group that is not using the beta you should try flipping back to the release version. Since you already have the foundation files hopefully there won't be a problem. At least the beta looks like it will go live next week or so in the worst case.