PDA

View Full Version : FGII "Encountered a problem and must close" message when trying to start.

lazareth1
March 22nd, 2009, 20:24
Hi peeps,

I was wondering if some of you could help me. I'm trying to get FGII running but I keep getting the windows 'encountered a problem' message along with send an error report etc. This happens at the splash screen just before it loads and after it downloads a ruleset from the host.

I've tried reinstalling, changing the resolution of my display, removing mods added after install to no avail.

Could it be something to do with directX and video? I'm running FGII on a laptop with no 3d video card.

Spyke
March 22nd, 2009, 21:09
FG2 needs a minimum of 32Mb on the graphics card, and sometimes seems to struggle with that. However, I've joined as a player successfully from a laptop with 32Mb on board graphics.

So, first check the spec of your machine and that it's fully-compatible with DirectX 9.0c.

If all that looks OK...

I'm assuming from your post that you've never successfully connected as a player (otherwise, you might try deleting the cache file for the campaign, as this might have got corrupted in some way - see the cache folder in your FG application data folder).

Are you using the FG demo or a purchased license?

Spyke

lazareth1
March 22nd, 2009, 23:06
Your right. Ive never connected to a session yet. Ive got an ATi rage pro on this laptop but not sure how much RAM it has.

Im starting to think its something because I can actually load the interface after i downloaded the d20 ruleset and chose the created a solo local character option instead of joining a game.

Griogre
March 23rd, 2009, 09:38
Try downloading the FG demo and installing it - it will install side by side and not bother your normal FG installation. Try starting the demo and see if you get the same problem - if so it's likely a hardware or driver problem.

lazareth1
March 23rd, 2009, 18:32
I could download the demo version but i couldnt connect to the gamesmasters session which runs the retail version yes? that's the only time i get this problem.

Oberoten
March 23rd, 2009, 21:48
The Demo can only connect to the Demo.

- Obe

zabulus
March 23rd, 2009, 23:20
However, you could host a session and try to connect to it from the same computer using the Demo. I don't know how that would end up with regards to "downloading the ruleset from the host" though.