PDA

View Full Version : Four Ugly Monsters Hacked!

catsclaw227
March 22nd, 2009, 17:23
Someone who knows the guys at FUM need to tell them to get an index.htm file up or something quick. The home page is showing all their SQL and root data.

Quickly!!!!!

Fenloh
March 22nd, 2009, 17:45
Wow, wonderfully done. (ironic)

Who are you anyway? First posting and guiding people to a hacked page?

You never post something like that on a forum. Because you either
- point even more people to a glitch
- point people to a possible trojan
- publicly disgrace the website owner

Fenloh

catsclaw227
March 22nd, 2009, 19:45
Wow, wonderfully done. (ironic)

Who are you anyway? First posting and guiding people to a hacked page?

You never post something like that on a forum. Because you either
- point even more people to a glitch
- point people to a possible trojan
- publicly disgrace the website owner

Fenloh
Well first, I have been a lurker for a while, learning about the VTT tools out there. I am a user of BattlegroundsRPG and was looking at upgrading to FG2.

I went to the FUM site to learn about FUMcon and saw the hack. I felt like this was a way to notify the owners of FUM because they visit here often.

I thought I was doing someone a favor.

I am a developer myself, and if the owner is disgraced instead of grateful that someone has pointed out that their site is screwed-up, then they shouldn't be a developer. We can't have thin skins like that because bugs, hacks, errors and such come with the territory.

And thanks for the kind welcome. Maybe FG isn't the tool for me.

tenkar
March 22nd, 2009, 23:23
I dont think he was guiding people to a hacked page. I think he was trying to inform the owner of the hacked page that it was, in fact, hacked.

CC, I have BG and FG2... both are nice, both have different strengths. I've yet to use BG in a live game. I'm currently a player in 2 weekly FG2 games.

Oh, and welcome ;)

catsclaw227
March 23rd, 2009, 01:44
Thanks tenkar.

I haven't had a chance to use any of them yet. I also have MapTools (just downloaded it a couple of weeks ago) that I want to try.

I've only been using them locally, to test out capabilities and such, but I haven't had a chance to actually game with one.

My time for DMing is limited, so an online solution might make some things easy, and I also want to play with my old buddies all the way across the USA.

tenkar
March 23rd, 2009, 02:13
I'm still waiting to get my old buddies to game online, but I've made some new buddies so all is well.

I've played around with Maptools, it looks pretty but I've gotten spoiled by the character sheet function in FG2. Both FG2 and Maptools have some community made video tutorials... excellent work in both cases.

Fenloh
March 23rd, 2009, 08:11
Well, if you are a developer, you should know better. The Way you wrote it was exactly the way many hackers would state their "succsess" in different Forums.

Instead of being angry, that your good intentions were misinterpreted, you should think about it, aknowledge, that it is correct and that you should not have written about it, and appologize. Anyone can make a mistake, and sometimes event he best intentions can harm more, then to do good.

I also did not say, that you did guide the peeps to the site, i explained to you why. I should not have been Ironic in the Beginning, and maybe i am just a bit to paranoid when it comes to happenings like that. Anyway, you did not get a welcome and a hello, because you did not greet either.. or did you?

Sometimes you just get up with the wrong foot, so...

Welcome to FG,

Fenloh

tenkar
March 23rd, 2009, 16:04
There was another thread on this topic in the Commons. Apparently the OP wasn't sure where to post this and hadn't seen the original thread, but it wasn't much of a secret that they got hacked. Looks like Devinnight is addressing the issues.

Since Devin hasn't made an issue of this well intentioned post I would consider it a wash at worst.

devinnight
March 23rd, 2009, 16:22
It sucks getting hacked, and it sucks to cast suspicion on others.
I appreciate the good intentions, and even though Fenlohs response was a bit rough he brought up some important points for all people to think about.

There are a lot of great guys who notified us, and since we are international people are visiting FUM all the time. I had 4 emails greeting me when I woke up.

So, lets not take a bad situation and make it any worse, FG and FUM has always had great forum members.

-D

Nurgling
August 28th, 2009, 07:19
Is four ugly monsters gone? Site looks to be down.

Sigurd
August 28th, 2009, 07:47
Until you hear otherwise, I'd assume there is a hiccup in fixing and securing the site.

The Ugly Monsters are all busy but reasonable people. I'm sure they'll sort it out in a little time.

Sigurd

unerwünscht
August 28th, 2009, 08:14
My guess is it has something to do with THIS (https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10817)

Keep in mind that if they moved things around at all DNS propagation can take up to 72 hours. I just moved 2 sites from one server to another about a week ago and it tool almost 32 hours for DNS updates.