PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tracker only working for DM

Kendjin
March 21st, 2009, 23:12
I am currently running a game (4E ruleset) and I am able as a DM to automatically roll against players, simply by dragging the attack over the player token.

My players are not able to do the same, as dragging it on to the token (by the player) results in the dice not rolling, only melting.

My combat tracker shows both PC and NPCs. The players can only see the other Players on the combat tracker.

What could I be doing wrong?

EDIT:

I have checked in options, and it has "Player Attack Drops", I've tried On and Report, but I wasn't sure, when I change this option, do I need to do something to make these active?

Also what do "Player Attack Drops" and "Player Damage Drops" do?

Bidmaron
March 23rd, 2009, 00:25
This is a known bug with token on-drop handling on client machines. It won't work until FG is updated.

Griogre
March 23rd, 2009, 10:15
If you have allowed it Players must drop attacks on the combat tracker. If you have allowed drops then the attack will be compared with the monsters defenses and it will tell you in chat whether the attack hit or missed. If you have it on report it just says what monster was attacked but doesn't say whether it was a hit or miss. Damage drops on means that a player can drop damage on the combat tracker and have the damage applied to the monster same with effects.

The RPGA group uses the automatic drops and I found I liked it very much as a DM. Until I tried having the players do it I never realized how much time I spend wait for a player to drop the dice. At first they will probably take longer to attack that way, but I found as DM I save more time with my monster moves because instead of waiting for a dice roll I could be figuring out what the monsters coming up are going to do – when it came to the monsters initiative I could move and make my attacks faster. Now I just glance over at the chat window to check on the players. Just make sure you check the text carefully the first couple of sessions. Until my players got the hang of it they would accidently drop things everywhere – on themselves, the other players, the wrong monster, ect. It’s all in the chat window though so you can easily undo a mistake.

So to summarize, if you allow these options your player can drag and drop attacks, damage and effects off their character sheet, mini sheet or hot keys onto the player combat tracker. Only the DM can drop on tokens on the map. Honestly, I think the map drop is neat, but as DM I never use it - because I find it much faster and easier to drop the attacks, damages and effects on PCs by using the portraits in the top left of the FG desktop. For me the PC portraits are bigger than the ones on the map and don't move around - so I find it just faster the drop the dice and effects on them.

Note I am talking about using the 1.4.4 version

Tenian
March 23rd, 2009, 12:00
The map drop would be a much welcomed feature for players. GMs typically only attack players, which are easy to locate in the CT (I believe drops may also work on portraits as well now). However as a player you often are faced with 3-4 NPCs who look exactly the same but are just named "Orc Raider 4", "Orc Raider 27", "Orc Raider 2", etc. I often end up hovering over the NPC I want to attack to get it's full name in the tool tip, then dragging the attack to the CT. If I could just drop on the CT this would skip a step.

Plus...dropping on the tokens just seems natural.

As a GM I like the report option for attack/damages and the ON option for Effects. I like having final say over player attacks and as you climb in levels NPC resistances seem to mean you're editing every damage drop anyhow. Now as a GM attacking players, the features are priceless. They save so much time when you're running those 16 npc encounters and you don't have to keep asking players their defenses.

Griogre
March 23rd, 2009, 20:47
The map drop would be a much welcomed feature for players. GMs typically only attack players, which are easy to locate in the CT (I believe drops may also work on portraits as well now). However as a player you often are faced with 3-4 NPCs who look exactly the same but are just named "Orc Raider 4", "Orc Raider 27", "Orc Raider 2", etc. I often end up hovering over the NPC I want to attack to get it's full name in the tool tip, then dragging the attack to the CT. If I could just drop on the CT this would skip a step.
Actually for me in a large fight where there are more entries on the combat tracker than can be shown at once (there is a max limit to the hight of the CT) I find it a bitch to scroll the combat tracker while trying to do a drop. In fact I use to drop monster attacks off a personality sheet onto the PC listing on the tracker so I didn't have the try to scroll the CT with the mouse wheel to get to that PC that was at the top or bottom of the list and off the entry list while making a drop. Thus the drops to the PC portraits are a real boon because you can always see them regardless of where the PCs are on the tracker.

I totally agree on the player drops on the map though, especially when the PC is attacking more than one monster with some sort of area or close attack. I really like the random numbering of monsters but I also found it made it very hard on the PCs to figure out which numbered monsters they were attacking.

I really looking forward to FG going live on the allowing of client drops and the fix you and Moon are planning to allow client drops - I'll go back to random numbered NPCs again. It was so funny the first time I did this, didn't tell the players and one player starts commenting on the token number. ;)

Tenian
March 23rd, 2009, 21:58
Actually the CT limit was upped to like 10000 pixels in the 1.4 releases. Rumor has it that's bigger than even Xorne's screen...by like 100 pixels or so.

The 2.4.0 test version makes the player token drops work. The code is in all the 1.4 rulesets, FGII 2.3.6 just doesn't fire the onDrop handler for clients. Switching to 2.4.0 test immediately enables the drops.

Moon Wizard
March 24th, 2009, 00:26
Yeah, the only part not working with the current 4E_JPG ruleset and FG 2.4.0 is when new tokens are added to the map after the client tracker is opened. Closing and re-opening the tracker fixes the image linking.

Have a thread going on the test version where I'm seeing what options we have to fix that too.

Cheers,
JPG