PDA

View Full Version : New Vista Computer/FGII Meltdown

dmchucky
March 21st, 2009, 19:34
Okay, need some help.

I bought a new Vista computer, found my FG downlaod email. Installed the program on my new computer and used my saved activation key. Brought all of my campaign data over from my old XP computer. Errors ensue. Can't open up either of my saved campaigns; can't open up the Tale of Dinor sample campaign, can't even go into the Create/Manage Characters section. Keep getting "base.xml" and parse xml errors. Haven't done any unzipping; did a direct download from the site using the old activation email from when I purchased the program a year and ahalf ago. I reinstalled the program on a non-Administrative user account and it still has the same errors. A lot of times, the DM launcher doesn't even display the available campaigns (including A Tale of Dinor) to choose from. I am at my wit's end. It appears that I will have to keep using the old XP computer to run my campaigns, even though half the reason I bought the new computer was to run my VTT games on a system with more RAM, better processor and much larger 24 inch monitor (versus the old 19 inch one).

Any ideas that don't require a degree in XML?

Spyke
March 21st, 2009, 19:50
Have you used your old campaigns this year, i.e. since the update to FG v2.3.6? Just clarify for us whether this is a d20 vs Foundation issue: the default installation of FG now sets up a basic ruleset called Foundation, and to get D&D 3.5 support you have to click on the 3.5 extension when you host a campaign.

If your older campaigns were d20, you'll need to download the d20 ruleset from the FG downloads page to get them to run.

They will also run fine, following a simple tweak to the xml detailed in other threads on this board, using Foundation + 3.5, but there's a bug in the Foundation combat tracker at present, so I'd wait until this is fixed before you port them across.

Spyke

devinnight
March 21st, 2009, 23:43
Keep in mind that in Vista the file structure is different, I haven't used XP for a while, but now you have to have all that info in the app data folder that is hidden by default.

If you search you should be able to find a post about how to get to the folder.

-D

dmchucky
March 22nd, 2009, 18:07
Have you used your old campaigns this year, i.e. since the update to FG v2.3.6? Just clarify for us whether this is a d20 vs Foundation issue: the default installation of FG now sets up a basic ruleset called Foundation, and to get D&D 3.5 support you have to click on the 3.5 extension when you host a campaign.

If your older campaigns were d20, you'll need to download the d20 ruleset from the FG downloads page to get them to run.

They will also run fine, following a simple tweak to the xml detailed in other threads on this board, using Foundation + 3.5, but there's a bug in the Foundation combat tracker at present, so I'd wait until this is fixed before you port them across.

Spyke

My groups play once a month each. My last game was two weeks ago. I am positive that I was current on downloads and using 2.3.6. I have been using the 3.5 rules from the beginning, not sure if it was called "Foundation" or not. Currently, I can't get ANY campaigns to show up in the campaign window, so there isn't a choice of whether to use 'd20' or 'Foundation'.

Sigurd
March 22nd, 2009, 18:26
What directories did you install the program into?

They're different for Vista

(I hear a 'Vista' is something you see before you jump off a cliff :) )

cpbs
March 22nd, 2009, 18:44

Spyke

Spyke is right on this. Had this same problem, if you install FG II straight from the begining it install the Foundation ruleset, so you will need to download the d20_ruleset to be able to run your past d20 campaigns.

dmchucky
March 22nd, 2009, 21:59
What directories did you install the program into?

They're different for Vista

(I hear a 'Vista' is something you see before you jump off a cliff :) )

I just accepted the default that it wanted to install to (I'm not even sure if it gives you a choice.)

Basically, I found the original email that Fantasy Grounds sent me when I first bought my copy of the program (later I bought a Light Version for my wife). I clicked on the link to download it; I downloaded the FG Installer to the Vista download folder. Then I closed down IE, double-clicked on the Installer and let it do it's thing. I had my key-code printed out, so I just re-entered it when prompted to do so. The install seemed to go clean (both times I did it, once as an Admin and then later as a non-Admin), and I was able to open the first splashscreen with no problem; it was from there that the problems begin.

dmchucky
March 22nd, 2009, 22:01
Spyke is right on this. Had this same problem, if you install FG II straight from the begining it install the Foundation ruleset, so you will need to download the d20_ruleset to be able to run your past d20 campaigns.

Well I ran a game on my old computer about two weeks ago. After the install on the new comp, it forces you to run the updater. So I assume that nothing major has changed in the last 2-3 weeks? I also assume that I have the most recent version after the force updater session???

Spyke
March 22nd, 2009, 22:13
Well I ran a game on my old computer about two weeks ago. After the install on the new comp, it forces you to run the updater. So I assume that nothing major has changed in the last 2-3 weeks? I also assume that I have the most recent version after the force updater session???On your old machine you will have had the d20 ruleset available, and the updates to the latest version would not have removed that. Early this year SmiteWorks followed the instructions given by WoTC and removed the d20 ruleset from the Fantasy Grounds download (the d20 license was flagged as expiring at the end of 2008).

If you downloaded and installed Fantasy Grounds on a new machine this year your new installation will not have included the d20 ruleset.

However, there is some confusion about WoTC's current status on this, so SmiteWorks have made the d20 ruleset available again. You can download it from the downloads page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/) and install it on your new machine.

Spyke

masteraries
March 22nd, 2009, 22:56
I am getting that same exact issue. And I also did just buy a new computer (with Vista 64bit OS)!

I have the full version of FGII (Light -> upgraded to Full).

I was just trying to create a new campain (foundation ruleset), and it gives me the same problem:

A XML parse error
Error on line 0: Error document empty

My thought is the directory pathway is different. Anyone else experienced it and found a way to correct it?

Thanks

Oberoten
March 23rd, 2009, 05:10
Did you install as administrator? There are some issues with that which makes FG not install properly.

- Obe

dmchucky
March 23rd, 2009, 16:38
Well, a big thanks to all those that posted.

I downloaded and installed the d20 ruleset and now the program works...mostly. Everytime I restart it up, the Updater button is active and until I do the update, the campaigns don't show up in the campaign window. After I do the 30 second update, then I can load in like normal and everything works like before (except the difference between a 19 inch and 24 inch monitor is enormous!).

I will take things as they are because I can at least do what I need to do now; still a little curious as to why I have to re-update the program everytime I open it though.

Thanks again for the help!

Chuck Arney:D

Spyke
March 23rd, 2009, 17:46
Let us know if it keeps asking for the update. It might just be a timing thing because an update was released today, which also updated the updater, and I think everyone's getting a double update.

Spyke

masteraries
April 5th, 2009, 16:10
I found out what my issue was. I was talking to a friend that installed it on his Vista machine.

It was just as simple as turning off the "User Account Control."