PDA

View Full Version : Connection Help

Bidmaron
March 20th, 2009, 00:16
OK, for the first time I'm trying to run a game where I have someone not on my local LAN. Of course, it isn't working (or I wouldn't be on here:o ).

I have a Linksys WRTP54G. I set my computer up to use a static IP of 192.168.15.149, where my Linksys is set up to use Dynamic IP from 100-149. I went to the 'Applications and Gaming' area, the 'Port Range Forwarding' and set up FantasyGrounds as the application for forwarding port 1802 through 1802 to IP 192.168.15.149.

The problem is that my computer can't access the internet at all with the address set to 192.168.15.149. What am I missing?

Bidmaron
March 20th, 2009, 00:17
I am on Vista 64 Ultimate, by the way.

mr_h
March 20th, 2009, 01:23
I'm terrible with networking, so I might be way off the mark. I always use my computers on static at the house here and I know I have to set the gateway in order to get out to the network. Have you checked those settings?

Bidmaron
March 20th, 2009, 01:33
OK, I have never done anything but dynamic, so I'm sure I'm screwing this up. I went in and set the Default gateway to the local IP address of my router. Still no joy.

Bidmaron
March 20th, 2009, 04:46
I fixed it by also adding the DNS Server. Yep I'm an idiot because the Network FAQ explained how to do it. Hopefully, tomorrow when I try again, I'll actually get someone remote to log into my server.

Tenian
March 20th, 2009, 12:24
I'm not sure if it's in the FAQ but you can start another session as a player on your machine and try and connect to your alias.

If you get a message about license in use then your connection is visible to the outside world.

If you get a message about unable to reach host then you still have router/firewall issues to resolve.

mr_h
March 20th, 2009, 14:15
I fixed it by also adding the DNS Server. Yep I'm an idiot because the Network FAQ explained how to do it. Hopefully, tomorrow when I try again, I'll actually get someone remote to log into my server.

*smacks his forehead*
I was thinking there was a setting I was forgetting last night but I kept blanking.

Bidmaron
March 23rd, 2009, 00:32
It is all working great. Thanks everyone.