PDA

View Full Version : FGII and Vista

Callum
March 17th, 2009, 13:40
I'm sorry to drag this up again, but I've just got a brand new laptop and I'm trying to port FGII over from my old one. Now, as I'm sure you've guessed, the old one was running XP, while the new one is running Vista. Almost everything works fine, but there are a couple of odd problems with the display that I didn't have under XP:-

The dice are dull-looking and hard to read, no matter what colour settings I choose for them. I tried turning off Aero while running FG, as suggested here, but that didn't make any difference.

I always used to run FG in full-screen mode, and ALT+TAB to switch in and out of it. Now when I try that, on switching back to FG, I can only see the hot key bar - the main screen element doesn't appear.

The new machine has an Intel Core2 Duo CPU @ 2.40 GHz, with 3GB of RAM. Any suggestions as to how I can deal with these irritating problems would be most appreciated!

Oberoten
March 17th, 2009, 23:07
I'm sorry to drag this up again, but I've just got a brand new laptop and I'm trying to port FGII over from my old one. Now, as I'm sure you've guessed, the old one was running XP, while the new one is running Vista. Almost everything works fine, but there are a couple of odd problems with the display that I didn't have under XP:-

The dice are dull-looking and hard to read, no matter what colour settings I choose for them. I tried turning off Aero while running FG, as suggested here, but that didn't make any difference.
I always used to run FG in full-screen mode, and ALT+TAB to switch in and out of it. Now when I try that, on switching back to FG, I can only see the hot key bar - the main screen element doesn't appear.The new machine has an Intel Core2 Duo CPU @ 2.40 GHz, with 3GB of RAM. Any suggestions as to how I can deal with these irritating problems would be most appreciated!

What is yer resolution? Graphica card dedicated or shared memory?

- Obe

Leonal
March 17th, 2009, 23:10
Don't use fullscreen mode, but rather drag the window to maximum position to fix the Alt+Tab problem.

I don't have any suggestion for the dice however.

Phystus
March 17th, 2009, 23:34
My wife had really crappy colors on her laptop too, until we opened up the video control software and played with the hue and saturation settings. They were both set quite low, possibly to lower power consumption (it is a laptop, after all). Yours might be too.

I'm not sure how you access that on your particular laptop, but on her's (running XP) you can just right-click on an open area of the desktop and select it. You can get to it from Device Manager (display adaptors) too. Not sure what the equivalent in Vista is...

Hope that helps.

~P

Cearlan
March 18th, 2009, 21:36
Just like XP you can get to it from both the control panel as you suggested, as well as from right clicking an open area of desktop (bottom item = personalise).

Norm

Callum
March 19th, 2009, 13:29
What is yer resolution? Graphics card dedicated or shared memory?
1280 x 800. No graphics card - it's the basic set-up, straight from the factory, so it's using the Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family.

Oberoten
March 19th, 2009, 22:16
Alas, I am afraid that the Intel mobile cards can not handle full Dx9.0c which is a system requirement for FG.

- Obe

Callum
March 22nd, 2009, 21:09
I've developed another weird problem. When I roll up token sizes on the combat tracker, the number has loads of decimal places. Again, this has only appeared since switching to Vista. Does anyone know what's causing it or how I can get rid of it?

zabulus
March 22nd, 2009, 21:12
I have the same thing on XP every now and again. I don't worry about it, as long as the token looks about the right size :)

Callum
March 22nd, 2009, 21:18
So the problem comes and goes intermittently? You haven't found any way to get rid of it?

Callum
March 23rd, 2009, 19:53
Does anyone have any idea about this strange new error?

zabulus
March 23rd, 2009, 23:23
So the problem comes and goes intermittently? You haven't found any way to get rid of it?

Yep, it comes and goes. Usually it happens when I have placed everything (I do that at the beginning of the session), have played a bit, maybe moved around some tokens, and then when I accidentally mousewheel on a token again (say, when I wanted to scroll the combat tracker but my mouse was on a token) I will see this phenomenon (wouldn't really call it a "problem" just yet).

Callum
March 25th, 2009, 15:28
Alas, I am afraid that the Intel mobile cards can not handle full Dx9.0c which is a system requirement for FG.
Really? My laptop has DirectX 10 installed, and the Intel website (https://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intelgm965/) says that the chipset supports DirectX 9 & 10.