PDA

View Full Version : Player Wanted for Savage Tide

kwixson
March 16th, 2009, 22:20
Wanted: one, two or three laid-back, over 24, players who are not overly attached to the usual rules for Savage Tide campaign on Tuesday nights from 8:30 to 11:00 pm EST. This is my 2nd time running Savage Tide through, so I know the material pretty well and it's pretty fun. You don't have to be serious, but you do have to be mature and personable. U.S. and Canadian players only, please. Detail oriented players are a plus. I use mostly 3.5 rules, but refer to PathfinderRPG for skill descriptions and have a few home rules upon which I insist. We currently have two players running two characters each. Some arcane spellcasting would be good.

Johan
March 16th, 2009, 23:24
I'm interested, what's the starting level?
Books Allowed/Disallowed?
I'd like to know more about your houserules.
Point Buy or Roll for stat generation?

I'm willing to make an arcane character, but when you say a spellcaster do you mean leaning towards utility or a blaster?

I'd like more information to go off of, but if you don't see this until tomorrow, I can probably throw together a well-made character in an hour or so.

kwixson
March 17th, 2009, 08:42
I'm interested, what's the starting level?
Books Allowed/Disallowed?
I'd like to know more about your houserules.
Point Buy or Roll for stat generation?

First, let me add that I am a consistent and considerate DM. I don't start campaigns, run them for a few sessions and then quit. If you're looking for a *regular* game, in that it's one that will be there as long as everyone's happy and willing to play, this is a game you should strongly consider. Plus, the Savage Tide Adventure Path has been well regarded and is a solid piece of work from the people who published Dungeon Magazine.

We're still near the beginning of the adventure. New characters arrive at the same XP as the lowest level active character, so 1st in this case. I will consider, but not necessarily approve any content from any book I have, which is pretty much PHB II, Stormwrack, and Complete Adventurer in addition to the core books. Standard point buy (25 pionts). They're just deficient in the arcane spellcasting department. Whatever style you want is fine by me. If it turns out you're going to play with us I'll send you an invite to the document online wherein all my home rules are detailed, because once set I do follow my own rules and communicate them to players (I don't wing the rules, which is always unfair), but you might want a couple highlights now and up front:

Basically I throw out the rest and recovery rules and substitute with a 4e inspired extended rest variant. It is possible to obtain a full day's rest in just 6 hours, under the right circumstances. I throw out the death and dying rules and substitute again with a 4e inspired system that extends your negative buffer and makes you harder to kill, but unlike 4e's or 3e's respective death countdowns, puts you on a far more variable and dramatic struggle to live when in negative hp territory. I make orisons and cantrips at-will powers just like they do in PathfinderRPG. I am kind of particular about trained skills, and there are a few other skill tweaks. Most are in the player's favor but some are annoying if you hold fast to some more traditional notions. Ah! And I take a more 2e view of how spells are learned and acquired. That might rankle if you're used to and very much attached to the easy and open spell selection of later edition gaming. Lastly, multi-class barbarians annoy me so I have thrown in a couple rules to jerk them around just a little bit. In broad strokes, I've made changes to reflect a more dramatic, cinematographic sensibility, dragging along some of my well worn 1e/2e nostalgia to boot.

But, if you're wondering about the homerules and worried by anything I've just said, then consider yourself warned. I don't cave to whining and resentment over homerules just doesn't do it for me. I've play tested these rules pretty extensively and I am quite attached to them. My advice is just to tolerate my rule eccentricities, trust that I know what I'm doing, and relax and have fun. It works out.

Please PM me and tell me more about yourself and what you'd like to play. That goes for anyone interested. If you sound like a good fit I'll reply with more details.

kwixson
March 18th, 2009, 08:04
First time playing with a Fantasy Grounds community player and we all had fun, I think. I know he was chomping at the bit to get some swings of the sword in, but he hung in there through the role playing and I promised him he's see some action next week.

Won't you take the 2nd open chair in this game! The Animated Dead guild is recruiting, still and Giff is waiting to talk to you about the exciting opportunities in store. So, PM me with a little info about yourself, a mini-bio if you will, and let's get you in on this regular Tuesday night game!

Johan
March 25th, 2009, 01:18
My internet is being switched on at 8pm cmt, so I'll try and be online asap. No fights until I show up :D