PDA

View Full Version : CSRD module install issue

blizzard
March 13th, 2009, 23:59
Hi all, I just bought a copy of FG and the CSRD from digital adventures. I ran into a few issues and couldn't find a similar problem on the forums so I thought I'd share the experience and solution:

FG Installed and updated fine
Downloaded CSRD package
Unzipped package
Read readme, unzipped mod files inside folder
copied files to module folder in the correct directory

Once I loaded up FG, couldn't see the modules in the library. I tried copying the files to just about every directory possible, same with the entire zip file, and quite a few permutations.

After searching on this forum I almost started to create a ruleset that would access these files, but I thought, it can't be that hard.

Turns out, that each mod file is set to use the 'd20' ruleset, but the only ruleset in FG out of the box is 'foundation'. So the solution for me, maybe others in the future:

- change the name of the mod file to end in .zip instead
- unpack the files, edit the definitions.xml file -> where it says <ruleset>d20</ruleset> replace d20 with foundation
- pack the files back up
- rename the archive to .mod instead of .zip
- rinse, repeat for each module

I'm sure this isn't the best way to do this, but it worked for me. Let me know if I'm in for a nasty surprise.

Valarian
March 14th, 2009, 00:31
The d20 ruleset used to be the one that shipped with FGII. This has been replaced by the foundation ruleset. The d20 one is still downloadable in the Downloads section.

blizzard
March 14th, 2009, 00:46
is one a better choice than the other? pros/cons

obviously the foundation is the supported ruleset, but does the d20 offer anything missing other than compatibility with older modules (I'm presuming that CSRD is compatible with the foundation, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Griogre
March 14th, 2009, 02:38
There is an issue with the foundation ruleset's combat tracker. Until they fix the bug you should probably used the d20 ruleset in the download area. After the bug is fixed you should convert over to the foundation ruleset becuase of the better features. FYI both the DM and players need to download and install the d20 ruleset to prevent having to transfer the ruleset and allow players with the lite version to build local characters.

And yes that is exactly how you change the CSRD to work with the foundation ruleset. This works because the d20 and foundation rulesets use the same data. The CSRD was developed for the d20 ruleset, but because they use the same data it will work fine with the foundation ruleset once it is fixed.

blizzard
March 14th, 2009, 04:36
awesome, thanks for the very succinct reply

Griogre
March 14th, 2009, 10:15
You didn't ask but their is a third 3.5 ruleset the d20_JPG. This ruleset has the most features. There are some issues with it but the worst seem to be with ongoing campaigns started with FG several versions ago. You might want to try it if you are starting a new campaign because you can change campaign rulesets without much problem because the data structure is also the same in the d20_JPG as the d20 and foundation rulesets. This ruleset can be downloaded from Four Ugly Monsters (www.fouruglymonsters.com) from the D&D 3rd Edition Development Group.

osarusan
March 21st, 2009, 11:42
I've been wondering about this as well; I have a long long running campaign on the d20 ruleset, but I only recently heard about the foundation and 3.5 20_jpg rulesets... Assuming one day the foundation one becomes better than d20, is it possible to convert a campaign to a different ruleset?

Also, is there somewhere with the differences between the rulesets laid out in detail?

Oberoten
March 21st, 2009, 12:09
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Migrating_from_D20_to_3.5_for_Older_campaigns

Only use the name of the other ruleset instead of foundation if you wish to use another ruleset.

- Obe

Tybaltcap
May 31st, 2009, 20:58
Hey Blizzard - Im a bit confused by your steps to get the CSRD working with foundation - could you simplify the explaination a bit for me? Im really eager to get this working!

BTW should I be using foundation or 3.5 or something else? all I play is d&d 3.5...

THANKS!

Wenin
June 7th, 2009, 02:06
Blizzard,

How did you purchase a copy of the SRD from Digital Adventures? I attempted today and their SSL certification has expired. Did you ignore this and purchase from them anyway or is there another method of purchasing it?

Thore_Ironrock
June 7th, 2009, 09:24
Blizzard,

How did you purchase a copy of the SRD from Digital Adventures? I attempted today and their SSL certification has expired. Did you ignore this and purchase from them anyway or is there another method of purchasing it?

I am aware of this issue, it is problem on Thawte's end with my host. I hope to have it resolved soon. I'm told the cert is good, but the resolve on Thawte's end is the issue. Unfortunately, Thawte is in South Africa and working out issues with them is troublesome. We also have products for sale with RPGNow is you would rather shop there for the time being.

Thore_Ironrock
June 8th, 2009, 15:46
Blizzard,

This issue is now fixed. In the future if any DA customers have issues with the store or products, please email us directly instead of posting to the FG forums. We do not "look" here for support issues.

Thanks to those that emailed us to let notify us of this issue. :)