PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Ruleset?

turelus
March 13th, 2009, 21:51
I'm looking for:

A completed and bug free D&D 3.5 Ed ruleset.
- Clickable die rolls
- Character Portraits in chat (not vital)

I have been using moonwizards for a long time now but wondering if anything else is out there.

Also, to transfer a campaign from one ruleset to the other will I need to build everything again?

Griogre
March 14th, 2009, 02:27
The most complete and bug free 3.5 ruleset is the d20 one (it also has the least features), IMO. :p When the foundation's combat tracker is fixed it will probably be the best one since it has a lot of the JPG_d20's features and I'm hoping it will be a bit more problem free. I like the d20_JPG ruleset features but it's just been a pain in a game I'm a player in. Admittedly the DM is using an old version, though.

I ran using the d20_JPG ruleset before I converted to his 4E one and I had some of the same problems he has had – lag, massive transfers every time you connect etc.

JPG or Josh posted code to do clickable die rolls on the boards. And I think someone posted how to add portraits to chat. You might check the Wiki or search the boards.

*If* the data is compatible and most 3.5 data is, you should be able to just transfer the data to a different ruleset.

Moon Wizard
March 14th, 2009, 07:04
As Griogre mentioned, there are 3 rulesets that support v3.5 D&D.

* d20 ruleset - Original d20 ruleset provided with Fantasy Grounds 2, very basic features

* Foundation ruleset plus 3.5 extension - Built on the foundation ruleset with an extension for v3.5 D&D, more features but current version with FG v2.3.6 has some bugs that have kept people from adopting.

* d20_JPG ruleset - A ruleset I built to expand the d20 ruleset with many new features I found were useful. Still being maintained, but on a reduced update schedule.

Cheers,
JPG

turelus
March 14th, 2009, 21:59
Well thanks for the info guys, I hope to see some updates for moon_wizards ruleset soon, I have heard a lot of good things about his 4th Ed one and some of it's features.

storminj
March 23rd, 2009, 19:21
I will tell you we are having issues with this as well. My group was going to try and do a 4th ed game at same time as switching to FGII. Well some of them were not capable of that much change so we are doing FGII using 3.5 rules so people can be confortable. Well after using the 4E set, even if very temporary, I am upset going back to 3.5 in FGII. The 4E set is soo much better.

I will have to look into Moon_wizards ruleset. Is it pretty good?

Griogre
March 23rd, 2009, 20:20
The d20_JPG is the precursor to the 4E ruleset. It has by far the most features of the d20 rulesets - it is made by moon_wizard who also made the 4E ruleset, it does have less automation than the 4E ruleset hailing back to its roots in the d20 ruleset and staying compliant with the OGL. The ruleset has some of the same problems of the 4E ruleset with endless loops in the combat tracker. It also seems to transfer large amounts of data on connection in long running campaigns, I don't necessarily think that issue is a problem of the ruleset specifically.

I would suggest you try it. Honestly, I found the data transfer problem to be crippling, however you might not experience it in a new campaign because I think it has to do with how data was assigned owners in prior versions of FG.

storminj
April 5th, 2009, 15:27
Thanks. If characters were created in the d20 ruleset would they have to be recreated if we switched to d20_JPG?

Moon Wizard
April 6th, 2009, 00:32
No, the sets are very similar in their data usage for characters. The one kind of data that won't transfer over is the combat tracker.

You'll have to campaign.xml file in your campaign directory to point to the d20_JPG ruleset.

Cheers,
JPG

Griogre
April 6th, 2009, 22:12
Because the rulesets are so similar I found the easiest way to transfer is just start a new campaign with the d20_JPG ruleset, start FG to create the campaign files and exit. Then just go into your old d20 campaign and copy the db.xml file over the empty one of the new campaign you just created. That way you don't have to sweat the other files.

storminj
April 7th, 2009, 17:53
Thanks again. We are going to try. The games DM is worried he will not have access to the MM, DMG and Item list included with d20.

Griogre
April 7th, 2009, 18:12
The d20_JPG, by default can use the d20 ruleset books. Its possible (though unlikely) your DM may be using the foundation ruleset and might have to do something else to get the books - but it's easy to do - just download and install the d20 ruleset from the download section on this site.