PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Delve Group Ideas

Azrael1415
March 10th, 2009, 03:29
So, I have an idea to start up a casual, flexible group of D&D players/DMs devoted to Dungeon Delves. The reason I, personally, find the benefits to have a Delve-only group are many:

1. They can be played and resolved in one night. Gives a good sense of completion at the end of each session.
2. The end-of-night resolution removes the need to have the exact same group of players playing every night, as new players need not be familiar with the storyline.
3. With that, it also allows the DM to change from week to week, allowing DMs to play as PCs and others a chance to DM (great for upstart DMs.)
4. It allows, and encourages, having more than just the usual 4-6 PCs in the group, even though they won’t all play in one session. So in case someone can’t play, someone else can fill the spot easily.

All-in-all I think a group setup like this would cater well to busy players who can’t consistently make a weekly group (even DMs.) Here some bullet points I thought of regarding the individual aspects what I would like to see in my Delve-only type group:

Group
• 4-6 PCs per session, 1 DM.
• Consistent night/time and frequency (for my group, I’m thinking weekly or Bi-weekly, Sat. nights @ 10pm Central)
• Have an RSVP system on forum so DMs can see the PC levels, wish lists and party size to know how to scale/alter delve for that week.
• DM can change from week-to-week.
• Ventrilo, highly recommended but not necessary.

Adventures
• Consist of 2-3 combat encounters, with the occasional skill challenge and/or puzzle. A typical WotC Dungeon Delve. Should make for about 4 hours per session.
• Story can be related to another delve but needs to not be exclusive of members who didn’t play the referenced delve(s).
• Encounter difficulty based on average level of party members.
• Uses DMG toolbox method of building encounters (encounter building mini-tool on D&D.com recommended.)
• Using latest JPG 4e FGII rulesets.

Characters
• All characters start at level 1
• Character stats logged in text post on forum so all DMs have access. Formatted like the text output of the Insider Character Builder (I can post a template for those that don’t use Builder.
• All races, classes, feats and powers from published, generic D&D world allowed (no FR, Eberron or beta test.)
• Each member will need to post character stats, portraits (so DM can import into FGII) and item wish lists on forum before they can RSVP for each delve.

If this would be something you are interested in being a member, reply to this post, PM me or go to the forums I’ve setup for my prospective group: D&D Dungeon Delve Association (D4A) (https://s3.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=10242)

Thanks!
Azrael