PDA

View Full Version : I can connect, but I can't host :(

Marrus
March 10th, 2009, 00:59
I have the retail version of the game, but i'm using the demo version to try to connect to a potential user. When he hosts the game, I can connect to him, but when I'm hosting he can't connect to me. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

Griogre
March 10th, 2009, 01:23
Generally can't host a game unless you open port 1802 on your router, forward it to the host computer's local IP, and allow FG through the firewalls on your router and PC.

If for some reason you can't do this you can use a VPN, like Hamachi.

If your friend can host then he must know how to setup his router and firewalls so you might ask him to help you.

Marrus
March 10th, 2009, 02:26
I don't have a router. I'm hooked up directly to my modem, but it's still giving me trouble. Any other suggestions?

*I'm going to give Hamachi a go. But can you please suggest other solutions.

Griogre
March 10th, 2009, 06:40
Your modem almost certainly has a firewall in it. It may also have router like functions. If the modem came from your ISP you may be able to call your ISPs tech support and ask them how to configure the modem. You can also try googling the model number of the modem to find an manaul on how to configure.

Marrus
March 10th, 2009, 07:08
I'll try that and get back to you with the results. Thanks for the suggestions.

Foen
March 10th, 2009, 07:35
Also, if one of you is using the Demo version and the other is using the fully licensed copy you won't be able to connect to each other. I'm not sure how well they run side-by-side on the same machine, which might be causing some of your trouble.

Foen

Valarian
March 10th, 2009, 14:07
The versions run side by side okay. I have both installed as I run demo tutorials every now and then.

Marrus
March 10th, 2009, 16:39
i was able to host using hamachi, but i still need to get my normal ip to work. i'm going to check with my modem as suggested earlier. i'll get back with results.

zabulus
March 10th, 2009, 18:23
When you are hosting, does your friend try to connect using your external IP-address (the one you see at www.whatsmyip.org) or do you use the alias your can enter in Fantasy Grounds?