PDA

View Full Version : Adding a spell?

Callum
March 9th, 2009, 14:02
If one of my players wants to use a single spell from a splatbook, is it okay for me to just add it in to d20spells.mod? If so, how do I get the new spell to show up in the book in the library?

Phystus
March 10th, 2009, 01:05
I think d20spells.mod is a client module, which means it has to be loaded on both the GM's and player's machines. Which means you'll have to share it. There could be copyright issues.

If there aren't in this particular case, then you'll need to add the spell description in the spelldesc section of client.xml, and then add it to the appropriate spelllists.whatever section.

~P

Callum
March 11th, 2009, 11:57
No more answers to my question? I'd just like to know what the easiest way of adding a spell to the spell lists is. It must be a very commonly done thing, but I can't find any clear guidelines in the library or by searching...

Leonal
March 11th, 2009, 15:37
I've never added spells myself, but wouldn't it be easier to make a new module within FG with spells that aren't in the SRD?

As for adding, my guess would be that you'd have to edit the xml file(s) manually within the d20spells.mod like Phystus said, but there might be copyright issues...

mr_h
March 11th, 2009, 15:53
I don't have FG with me at work so I can't give specifics. But what I would do is take a preexisting module (like d20 spells), and take a look at how the stuff is setup in it. XML is complicated at first, but if you look at it for a bit, it starts to make sense. Then erase all the other stuff and add in your houserule stuff.

I like doing house rules in a seperate module so you can turn'em on and off, and if they go and update the ruleset, it won't overwrite your changes.

Edit: This thread "https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6183&highlight=edit+module" is similar in what you were looking for I think.

Griogre
March 12th, 2009, 00:56
If it is just one spell its not usually worth entering. Just have the player type the spell description into a note, create a new line in the spellbook and type in the short description and link the note with the full spell description to the spell line.

Your other options are to make a new library book module with just that spell. You might do this if you expect to eventually add a bunch more spells. You could also make a shell spell module like I talked about here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=53834&postcount=10

Then you could just add in your one spell in the spell descriptions and down in the link sections.

Callum
March 12th, 2009, 16:29
Thanks, Griogre, that's most helpful! Don't know why I didn't turn it up in my search, though. Might there be a place for info like this to be compiled? A "Best Hints & Tips" sticky or some such?

Oberoten
March 13th, 2009, 00:35
It might indeed be a good article for the Wiki. Will put it there when I am more awake.

- Obe (Who has just been GMing for 13 hours straight. :) )