PDA

View Full Version : Random Crashing

unerwünscht
March 7th, 2009, 20:21
I have no idea what it causing it, and having a lot of trouble tracking it down. So I figured I would post what I have and see if anyone else is having the same issue so we can try and figure out what is going on.

I am running the current build of Fantasy Grounds 2.
I am hosting a game using the current build of the JPG_D20 ruleset.
We only got as far as character creation, so no maps had been opened.
The clients are not crashing, just getting the disconnected error when I do.
I have no processes running in the background that are not required by Windows.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/24/04 12:49:40 Ver: 08.00.09
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz
Memory: 1534MB RAM
Page File: 347MB used, 3086MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Things I have tried so far:
Restarted Fantasy Grounds (obviously) crashed again after a few minutes.
Restarted Computer and loaded Fantasy Grounds again same thing
Currently attempting hosting with no clients connected to see if the issue happens only when players are connected.

Anyways... the question I have is anyone else having issues with random crashing while hosting?

EugeneZ
March 7th, 2009, 20:57
Have you tried updating your video drivers?

Also, you've been around these forums for a while, so I'm going to assume these issues recently started? Try to think back to what you changed... it sounds like you are just starting a new campaign? Maybe it's worth uninstalling FG2 and re-installing it...

Oberoten
March 7th, 2009, 21:28
How many people connected at the same time? How large a store of tokens?

These might contribute... if all else fails delete and re-install the ruleset from a fresh package. Have all players delete the cache and connect one at a time.

unerwünscht
March 7th, 2009, 21:54
Ok... Tested some more, still not sure what is causing it. However it is even crashing when noone is connected, and nothing is being done. As in I open the Fantasy Grounds application, host a game, and just let it sit there, after a while it crashes.

The only thing that has changed on the system since the last time I hosted a game without a crash is that I installed the video game "Warhammer Online" (Not the greatest game in the world, but not a bad game if any of you happen to be MMO fans.) I thought the EA download manager might have been the source of the issue, but still crashes even after closing out of everything that is not required by Windows.

All the drivers on my system are up to date as of 2 weeks ago, and I have hosted a game without crashing since the last updates. And yes this is a new issue, with an ongoing campaign we just had a new player join today (or at least try to join). And I did ask, he is using a valid version of FG, that is up to date (its sad that I even had to ask).

We had a total of 4 players connected, each connected one at a time, and were all connected and chatting for more than 5 minutes before the crashes. I only have the NEEDED tokens loaded so maybe 30 tokens total, all 64*64. The maps are rather large however, but I am not sure when it actually tries to send the maps, I thought it sent those when you opened/shared them.

Griogre
March 8th, 2009, 01:03
Both the d20_JPG & 4E_JPG have some endless loop problems. They do seem to be something involving the combat tracker but are very hard to reproduce consistantly in the same way. I was having problems with a recent 4E build and for a while it seemed if I messed around with the combat tracker and tokens on the map tied to it long enough - I would trigger the loop but in a differnt way *everytime*. However, as soon as I delete that old Test Campaign and created a new one I couldn't reproduce anything. You might want to check your CPU useage - have a meter running and watch to see what happens just before the crash.

There seems to be some some odd things that happen with old campaigns. You might try starting a new campaign and seeing if the same thing happens. If not then try copying a pasting the old XML data into the new XML data files and see what happens.

Correct, maps are not normally shared unless you send them except if they are in a common module that you are force loading. There are a fair amount of reports with people having problems with huge maps - though the theory says it really shouldn't matter except for transfer time, of course.

unerwünscht
March 14th, 2009, 00:31
At this point I have tried just about everything.
I am almost 100% sure the issue is with fantasy grounds itself. As I have tried with every ruleset I have, and I still get crashes even if no one is connected, and its a brand new game. So, tonight when I get some time, I will back up all my data, and uninstall/reinstall Fantasy Grounds, and hope that fixes the issue.

If it does not fix the issue, seeing as no one from smite works has said anything, I will assume that it is ok for me to start running packet sniffers, and code catchers to track down the issue.

unerwünscht
March 14th, 2009, 02:01
Uninstall/reinstall seems to have fixed the issue, at least for now.
The EA download manager is the only thing that had changed on my system, I am not sure if anyone else has experienced that issue and can help verify, or rule it out. I know it comes packaged with SPORE and Warhammer Online.

MeepoSose
October 13th, 2009, 01:12
Uninstall/reinstall seems to have fixed the issue, at least for now.
The EA download manager is the only thing that had changed on my system, I am not sure if anyone else has experienced that issue and can help verify, or rule it out. I know it comes packaged with SPORE and Warhammer Online.

Did you ever figure out what was causing the problem, or get it to quit crashing?