PDA

View Full Version : 4th edition D&d Ruleset Issues. Please help

Bloodiest rayne
March 7th, 2009, 19:47
Whenever I try to use the 4e ruleset for Fantasy Grounds 2, an eroor ,essege that say "could not load ruleset root file base.xml" does anyone know how to fix this problem?

EugeneZ
March 7th, 2009, 20:12
Where did you get the ruleset? And what steps did you follow to install it?

It sounds to me like you did nto install the ruleset correctly. Make sure that you placed the 4e_JPG folder into the rulsets folder of your FG2 data directory. If there's some specific step giving you trouble, let us know what you're doing and someone will help you out.

Bloodiest rayne
March 7th, 2009, 20:20
https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=42&func=view&id=6162&catid=41&limitstart=0 that is where i am getting it from. Now to install it i clicked the link in the above url ad then it brought up the contents of the zip folder i then went to start menu >all programs > fantasy grounds 2 > application data. i then created a folder called "rulesets" as there wasnt one already. i then took the 4e_JPG folder from inside the zip file into the rulesets folder. but when i go to load up the ruleset in fantasy grounds it comes up with the previously mention error messege

EugeneZ
March 7th, 2009, 20:39
Are you using the lite version? You need to be a DM and have the full version of the software to be able to use the ruleset. Sorry. Furthermore, if your DM installs the ruleset, it will automatically be downloaded to you when you connect to your DM's server.

Bloodiest rayne
March 7th, 2009, 20:55
yes i have the lite ruleset. so your saying that i cannot create characters while im offline? cause its kind of a waste of time for the players to have to create their characters while in game

EugeneZ
March 7th, 2009, 20:59
Sorry, the 4e_jpg ruleset does not support "local mode" which is what you're talking about.

Usually I just leave my FG2 server running so that players can connect any time and create their characters.

Xorn
March 8th, 2009, 15:05
I do the same, I just fire up my host server before going to work if someone wants to work on their character before game time.

Griogre
March 9th, 2009, 05:57
If I can just find some time, I'll see if I can get around to making a pak ruleset out of this with JPG's permission. I want to do it in Inno though, so I need to play around with it.

Doswelk
March 9th, 2009, 12:06
If I can just find some time, I'll see if I can get around to making a pak ruleset out of this with JPG's permission. I want to do it in Inno though, so I need to play around with it.

Biggest problem I found with a Pak file on a "in-development" ruleset is the pain in keeping up to date...

Tenian
March 9th, 2009, 12:41
If it works like local characters do with a full version then Magic items won't function properly.

Griogre
March 9th, 2009, 19:36
Doswelk, yeah I agree. The interval between the 1.3 and 1.4 was long enough that I think it won't be that big a deal to at least start exploring building a pak file. I want to do it on Inno instead of the open source installer Josh used. I'm much more familiar with Inno, but I need to look into a pure file install and build it so multiple installs on top of each other aren't a problem and can be un-installed.

Tenian, that doesn't bother me - the ruleset is designed that way. That's the trade off between the identifiable and drag drop building of magic items currently and building local characters. The player *could* build the magic item by hand adding entries to the inventory/combat tab, and daily item powers if he wished - or he could just ask the DM to build his items.

Given the lack of links of magic items to module data after the drop from the DM, I would suspect something could be done in the future about local character's magic - once there is a working pak verson of the ruleset.

Brognan
March 10th, 2009, 17:24
Ok guys, I'm pretty new to FGII. I'm on my 3rd week of a 4e D&D campaign with a great group.

What is the advantage of making the 4e_JPG into a PAK file?

Sigurd
March 10th, 2009, 17:45
In itself nothing. Pak is the name for an archived file extension like zip.

However, the default ruleset for Fantasy grounds is\was available to the client (lite packages) from the PAK file that Smiteworks provided. So you didn't have to be connected to the DM to make up or modify your characters.

What is being talked about here is to repackage a custom ruleset, not supplied by smiteworks, slightly so that some of the resources are available to the local character generation window.

The issues being discussed are:

1) You can make characters online if your DM leaves his machine open to log into it.

2) There is some effort in repackaging the ruleset and nobody's done it...

3) If you repackage it you have to keep on rereleasing it as the normal online ruleset changes.

Welcome to the boards,

Sigurd

Griogre
March 10th, 2009, 17:46
The advantage of PAK rulesets is lite versions of FG can build local characters prior to connecting with the server that are transfered when the lite version connects to the server.

Very few rulesets are built this way - the original d20 one that came with FG and on the download page now, the current foundation ruleset and the GURPS ruleset. The reason is that for a PAK ruleset to work you need to mess with the registry. Due to the risks of messing with the registry, for general release the safest way to distribute a PAK ruleset is with an installer program.

There is a sticky in the Workshop forum on building PAK rulesets:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9166

Edit: Out typed by Sigurd!

macrender
June 10th, 2009, 12:22
Hi Guys,

One of my players was having the same issue. To get over it I told them to delete the contents of their Cache folder and reconnect.

This solved the issue.

Hope this helps..

Render