PDA

View Full Version : How do I change the Font?

Delondil
February 23rd, 2009, 18:24
This is the problem I had with FG a couple years ago, and one of the main reasons I never really used FG. The font in the chat window.. That font kills me. I don't know how people can stare at that tiny, slightly smeared font, for hours and be able to play. I'm not alone, my players who tested FG with me the other night, groaned about the font. On our other application we were able to simply enlarge or change the color of the font, through an "options" button on the program. FG doesn't have that.

So, is there a way that I can change that font to make it bigger, or more clear? And I know nothing about programming so if I have to rip open the coding for the program somehow I guess I will need to investigate another application for games. Unless someone can walk me through it.

I know they went for the mood and feel when they designed it, but a hard to read chat screen is bad. They sort of "smudged" the chat box to make it look like parchment, but the grainy characteristics just strains my eyes.

Valarian
February 23rd, 2009, 19:00
There's a font generation tool somewhere around on the board which allows you to make BMP fonts from TTF files. The fonts themselves are in the fonts directory of a ruleset.

You'll have to create a custom ruleset by running d20unpack.exe in the FGII program folder. This will create a copy of the d20 ruleset in the examples area of your FGII application data folder. Make a copy of this and rename it (e.g. d20Copy). Place the copy of the d20 folder in the rulesets folder of your FGII application data folder. The fonts folder will be under this. There are several fonts, performing different actions. The functions are laid out in the bmpfonts.xml file.

The fonts used for chat are the regular fonts.

mr_h
February 23rd, 2009, 19:23
Did a quick search for the program (FGFontGenerator.exe) and found a thread that had this link in it: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/resources.xcp

Scroll down to Fonts. It gives you a lil bit of instruction (what you're looking for to modify) as well as a link to the program.

Tenian
February 23rd, 2009, 19:34
You can also change the chat frame graphic to have less "dirt" on it so it's clearer to read.

Delondil
February 23rd, 2009, 19:46
Did a quick search for the program (FGFontGenerator.exe) and found a thread that had this link in it: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/resources.xcp

Scroll down to Fonts. It gives you a lil bit of instruction (what you're looking for to modify) as well as a link to the program.

Great, thank you, I will check this out! Lets pray I dont butcher the program now by fiddling around in the guts of the rules!

Valarian
February 23rd, 2009, 20:03
You can only butcher the campaign you create using the copy ruleset. I've not heard of anyone corrupting the software itself. Of course, there's always a first time :D.

Have a go, there's lots of advice and comment already on the board and in the Library. If you get stuck, ask. Someone is bound to help out. Unpacking the ruleset is a first step down a road with many possibilities.