PDA

View Full Version : Help with FG2

Delondil
February 23rd, 2009, 17:06
I also posted on the Tech Help area, and some people suggested maybe if I find someone who owns the C&C ruleset they could help me with my issue(s).

In a nutshell, I really don't understand how to properly install these new rules.. I'm new to FG2 and have avoided using it mainly because it is so complicated to make work - but I thought if I could forge ahead and get over it maybe it would become easier.

I bought the Castles & Cruesades rules shown on the home page of the site, but the instructions on what exactly to do with all those zipped files are vague.

Does anyone own that ruleset ( or grasp how all these files work? ) who could maybe walk me through how and where to put all this stuff?

It said for example, to put the *.mods in the mods file - I did that ok. I do see the Castle and Cruesades ruleset show up as a choice when creating a new module.

But where all the LUAs ( Dont know what those are ) are supposed to go.. or where all the *.pngs are supposed to go ( Pictures I know, but I put them in all the tokens and nothing happened. Put them in portraits, nothing happened ..? ) And where all those XLS or XMS or whatever X-things those files are, should go - I'm clueless.

Griogre
February 23rd, 2009, 19:22
While I happen to have the C&C ruleset - all rulesets of the same type are always installed the same way. When a ruleset doesn't have an installer (and it is rare right now for a ruleset to have an installer), then you have to put the *all* the ruleset specific files in FG's ruleset folder.

You can find the ruleset folder by pressing the Windows Start Button -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder. When you select Application Data folder it will pop a window that shows the most important folders to users. In the case of your ruleset you need to get the C&C ruleset files into the rulesets folder. Other than the module files, which go in modules - all the ruleset files go in the rulesets folder.

FG, like most computer programs, is picky about the layout of its files - if you don't have the file structure exactly right the ruleset won't work. The easy part is copying the C&C ruleset into the ruleset folder - the hard part is recognizing which folder you actually want to copy into the ruleset folder. :p

The folder you actually want to copy into the ruleset folder is the one that holds the font, frames, icons, saves, scripts, and tokens folders as well as 40 or so XML files inside of it. In my version of the ruleset the folder was called Castles_and_Crusades – but the real ruleset folder is always the one that has the fonts folder, frames folder, icons folder and scripts folders and a bunch of XML files inside it. Sometimes there are other folders and the number of xml files will vary between different rulesets, but you can always recognize a ruleset folder by looking for the folder with at least the fonts, frames, icons and scripts directories and some XML files and that is the one that gets copied into FG's ruleset folder.

Delondil
February 23rd, 2009, 19:54
While I happen to have the C&C ruleset - all rulesets of the same type are always installed the same way. When a ruleset doesn't have an installer (and it is rare right now for a ruleset to have an installer), then you have to put the *all* the ruleset specific files in FG's ruleset folder.

You can find the ruleset folder by pressing the Windows Start Button -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder. When you select Application Data folder it will pop a window that shows the most important folders to users. In the case of your ruleset you need to get the C&C ruleset files into the rulesets folder. Other than the module files, which go in modules - all the ruleset files go in the rulesets folder.

FG, like most computer programs, is picky about the layout of its files - if you don't have the file structure exactly right the ruleset won't work. The easy part is copying the C&C ruleset into the ruleset folder - the hard part is recognizing which folder you actually want to copy into the ruleset folder. :p

The folder you actually want to copy into the ruleset folder is the one that holds the font, frames, icons, saves, scripts, and tokens folders as well as 40 or so XML files inside of it. In my version of the ruleset the folder was called Castles_and_Crusades – but the real ruleset folder is always the one that has the fonts folder, frames folder, icons folder and scripts folders and a bunch of XML files inside it. Sometimes there are other folders and the number of xml files will vary between different rulesets, but you can always recognize a ruleset folder by looking for the folder with at least the fonts, frames, icons and scripts directories and some XML files and that is the one that gets copied into FG's ruleset folder.

Ok its starting to make more sense - thanks..!

When I opened the ZIP that I bought for the C&C, it was just all files of various extensions, which was very very confusing to me. Like..how to sort all that crap out and figure out where it should go.

So I will have to delete the mess I made and start again.

I put the *.MOD files, into the MOD folder - that part is easy.

Do I have to make a subfolder under rules ( ....\rules\Castles and cruesades ) ? Or from what you said ("Other than the module files, which go in modules - all the ruleset files go in the rulesets folder. ") I just put everything else ( *.LUA , *.XML, *.PNG, etc etc ) into the \rules folder right?

Valarian
February 23rd, 2009, 20:10
FGII Application Data Folder/rulesets/Ruleset Name/base.xml

There should be a single level of folders under rulesets for each custom ruleset. This folder should contain the XML files (including base.xml), and will also have sub-folders (icons, frames, fonts, scripts, etc.).

As you say, the modules go in the modules folder.
When you get to them, the extensions go in the extensions folder. :)

Delondil
February 24th, 2009, 01:39
Ok so I have made a subfolder under "rules" called "Castles and Cruesades", and under that folder, made more subfolders for "scripts" ( where I put all the LUA extensions , "icons" where I put anything with the word icon in it.., "fonts" which from trolling I figured to be the *FGF exensions.., etc.

Now I am left with files like:

thumbs.db (?)
desktop.jpg (?)

And many many many PNG files that I dont what they are like...

"tab_base1.png"
"storybox.png"

A whole slew that start with "indicator" like..

indicator_locked.png
indicator_ranged.png
indicator_loading.png

a bunch that start with "button"

button_people.png
button_newwindow.png

And I did not find any named "frames" so not sure what to put in my frames subfolder..

Yes, clueless. i warned you!

Delondil
February 24th, 2009, 02:04
Making progress, the error message has changed. Now it won't load at all and I get:

Could not load rulset root file base.xml.

Do you want to try reloading the data?

LOL

Delondil
February 24th, 2009, 02:05
The help file they give you really stinks, I mean this means nothing to me:

--------

Castle & Crusades Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds
Installation Information

FILE INSTALLATION
---------------------
This product does not include an "executeable" file. In Fantasy Grounds II files are simply placed within the FGII installation to be accessed. The included files go in a specific place depending on what OS you are running.

In Windows Vista it is:
C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\

In Windows XP its:
C:\documents and settings\<USER>\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\

In both instances you may have to change your Windows explorer settings to show hidden files to see these directories. Beneath the Fantasy Grounds II directory you'll see a series of directories where your files go: campaign, module, portraits, ruleset, and tokens.

Next, uncompress your download. These are the files that go in the above mentioned directories.

* The Castles_and_Crusades directory. These are the ruleset files and go in the ruleset directory. The path to your reference.xml file should be: \\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\Castles_and_Crusades\reference.xml.

* The following are compiled library modules, and go in the modules directory.
Castles & Crusades-Players Handbook.mod
Castles & Crusades-Monsters & Treasure.mod
Rising_Knight.mod

The path to these files should be: \\Fantasy Grounds II\modules\Rising_Knight.mod.

* The included tokens (folder "Castle Tokens") go in the \\Fantasy Grounds II\tokens directory. If you want your players to see these tokens they go in the "shared" directory; else place them in the "host" directory for GM access only. These tokens will appear in your FGII token box to use during your game.

* A PDF FAQ is included that overviews new features presented in this ruleset. These are features that are unique to this ruleset needed to play Castles & Crusades.

For other Fantasy Grounds II functionality visit www.fantasygrounds.com.

Delondil
February 24th, 2009, 02:20
Maybe it will help if I throw a screenshot of my file directory, maybe you can spot where I am messing up:

https://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/WhippedAngel/Screenshot-FG3.jpg

Foen
February 24th, 2009, 06:36
Griogre has given good advice on the other thread.

zabulus
February 24th, 2009, 08:03
Also (I mention this, because the path to your reference.xml is mentioned specifically in the helpfile above), you have an "e" to much in your directoryname. According to the helpfile, it should be "Castles_and_Crusades"

Delondil
February 24th, 2009, 15:11
Also (I mention this, because the path to your reference.xml is mentioned specifically in the helpfile above), you have an "e" to much in your directoryname. According to the helpfile, it should be "Castles_and_Crusades"

You know that appears to be a big part of the problem too! LOL!

At first I didn't use the underscore thing and it wouldn't work at all. So.. I'll try renaming