PDA

View Full Version : How to do a better job of helping gamers find each other

Sakusammakko
February 21st, 2009, 10:50
The success of our gaming community depends on making it easy for people to try the FGII software with a real gaming group (see previous post) and making it easy for people to find other players who they can have a great gaming experience with.

I've been really concerned about how we can make it easier for gamers to find other gamers. Let's face it, if people find a game they're really interested in, they'll spread the word about this great program they've found.

Here are a few ideas. Is there a way we can make them happen?

1) There needs to be a more obvious way to see at-a-glance people who want to host/find a game.

Is it possible to have some kind of sortable table with drop down menus?

Imagine: You want to find/host a game. What's most important to you-- probably the day of the week, time of day and ruleset. You enter these parameters on the sign up sheet and your name goes on a big list.

Others come along and sort the list in ways that make it quickly obvious what the gaming opportunities are that suit them. There could be a PM button and you send a message off indicating your interest.

Each listing could be time-sensitive. You're sent an automatic PM every 2 weeks asking if you're still looking. If you don't take action, your post is removed to keep the list current and clean.

2) Monitor the game calendar to make sure it's up-to-date.

Something similar should happen for the game calendar. Currently, it's not possible to see at-a-glance what games are on (by ruleset) and when (day and time). Nor are the campaigns current. How many people are driven away in frustration because the game calendar is not easy to navigate?

Once again, can we make the front page of the calendar sortable by ruleset, day and time?

GMs could be automatically PM'd every month to take action to ensure the calendar stays relatively current and clean. Alternatively, if no activity has taken place on the site in a given time period, the GM could be warned that the campaign will be removed.

Bottom Line

The goal is to get more people having a great gaming experience. We have a friendly community on this site. Now it's time to have a user-friendly game calendar as well.

GM:Ozzie
March 13th, 2009, 22:47
Lemme have an amen! FG2 is a great program; however the ability to find/host games is so terrible. Whats the deal?

tenkar
March 14th, 2009, 01:38
Sak makes some very good points.

unerwünscht
March 14th, 2009, 02:04
We are building a site that is targeted at helping gamers find one another, not just limited to Fantasy Grounds users, but all gamers in general. From Larp to tabletop, to virtual tables, to Play by Post games. The site is currently in Beta, and we have hit a few snags, but hope to have it finished and 100% operational within a month.

Andugus
March 14th, 2009, 02:13
I know Four Ugly Monsters has been a haven for all VT game play for some time. There is an event calendar with easy to see games at a glance.

Get ugly. (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com)

GM:Ozzie
March 14th, 2009, 15:47
Bagh, there should be some kind of lobby or something so you can just jump into games, sorta like WEBrpg used to be like. Make things fast and unmessy. Instead of waiting three hundred days for a reply from someone, then waiting another seven weeks for the game to start; just to have ppl not show up or have the dm wimp out on you.

Iceman1285
March 29th, 2009, 14:40
That would be nice to have for new people as well because i just got the game and I am so lost like a little kid in a supper mall looking for his parents. Anyone who could help answer some questions for me would be very helpful.

Thanks Iceman

From the frozen North.

Sakusammakko
March 29th, 2009, 19:18
Iceman,

What are your questions?