PDA

View Full Version : Map Lock Problem

tegeus
February 15th, 2009, 13:47
I came across this problem in a game last night as a player and I was able to recreate it today as a GM.

As a GM I have a map - not overly big but I zoom in a bit and it is bigger then the map window. I join locally as a player and moved on the map. As GM I can scroll the map to keep up with the players movements. As a player the map will scroll but springs back and I quickly lose my token off the playing field.

As GM I should be able to use the Navigate function to change the map position but it does not work. The grey box on the map denoting what area the players can see never moves.

Anyone have a solution to this problem. I have to think this comes up a lot unless everyone is using tiny little maps.

tegeus

Leonal
February 15th, 2009, 15:40
Right click the map and select update shared sheet (same button as share sheet) when you have scrolled to the new position.

tegeus
February 15th, 2009, 17:00
Right click the map and select update shared sheet (same button as share sheet) when you have scrolled to the new position.

Yes that works - thanks. Now I wish I had not wasted a few hours chopping up my maps into small pieces.

That solves my problem as GM but I think the problem we encountered last night when I was a player is still out there. I would have to ask the GM but I am pretty sure he knew to update the shared map.

I think it was related to our having installed a module with all the images to speed up load times (which it did) conflicting with images in the shared folder.

tegeus

Sakusammakko
February 15th, 2009, 17:48
What Tegeus says is correct.

I created an image module based on an existing campaign and sent it to my players. They dropped the module in their local Modules folder and the loading times were very quick. The problem we ran into was that, as the GM, I could not reset the map using the Share Sheet button so that the players could see a centered view. Their view remained the same-- upper-left hand corner.

Here are the steps I took-- just in case I took some shortcuts.

1) Opened an existing campaign file that had all of the images I wished to export.
2) Used the /export function to create a new, renamed module and only selected the images for export. Also set the type of module as client.
3) Created the module.
4) Sent the module to the players who downloaded it and placed it in their FGII modules folder.
5) Fast loading times-- No problem with small maps. Problem with larger maps. Would not center.

Ideas?

I haven't created a new campaign module from scratch-- i.e. from the splash screen, drop the images into the new campaign folder, export. Would this make a difference? Can experiment as necessary.

EugeneZ
February 15th, 2009, 18:33
Solution is two-fold:

1) Do not name the image in your module the same filename as an image you have previously shared with players.
2) The module should be a HOST module ("H" column should be ticked when making the module)

However, these modules still have one major disadvantage over non-moduled maps: The "Update Shared Sheet" function does not send the associated mask. Any updates to the mask with the mask tool DO get sent, so it's still playable... but if a player gets disconnected for some reason, you have to redraw the whole mask for them.

Never-the-less, when I was using a low-bandwidth connection, it was a life-saver.

Sakusammakko
February 18th, 2009, 21:32
Why Host and not Client or Common?

I will try it and let you know. We've already tried Client and it didn't solve the problem. In fact, the masks didn't load at all.

Griogre
February 19th, 2009, 00:53
Common defeats the purpose of the module - why would the host want to transfer the module data on connection to the client if it is already on the client?

Host allows the maps to remain hidden on the client and more importantly allows the mask to work.

Sakusammakko
February 19th, 2009, 10:34
Nothing like putting your ignorance on display, is there?

OK. I think I will put together an image module with images or maps that aren't large and don't need to be masked. I'll have to pre-load the rest.

Griogre
February 19th, 2009, 19:13
If you don't ask you won't learn - you should have seen the questions I asked. :p

Just to be clear you can include masked images in your module. You just need to make it an "Host" module when you export it. Don't get hung up on the module type names.

Tenian
February 19th, 2009, 19:25
Note that module files are just zip files that have been renamed. So even if you do make a host file and have a mask on it, players who want to can simply open the raw image.

Sakusammakko
February 23rd, 2009, 11:14
Tegeus and I tested using an image module following Eugene's tips. Unfortunately, the images loaded as normal.

The only way they loaded quickly was as a Client module. Of course, that takes us back to where we started at the beginning of the thread.

I think I'll pre-load the images while we wait for everyone to show up.

Thanks for the ideas.