PDA

View Full Version : Character Help

sherigon
February 10th, 2009, 14:53
I've been using FG now for a few months and I'm still learning so this is probably a noob question.

Why can't I use a local character when I join a game? What good is it to take the time to create a local character that you may never use. If you are able to use a local character to play in a game how is it done? Every time I try I get an fatal error on Fantasy Grounds and it has to shut down. Am I doing something wrong or just trying to do something that FG will not allow?

I and everyone that I play with are fully updated with the latest version of FG. maybe not the same version of 4E-jpg but most of us are.

EugeneZ
February 10th, 2009, 14:59
It depends on your ruleset. I'm no expert but seeing as there are no replies yet I think I can provide a rudimentary answer. From what I understand, due to limitations in how custom rulesets can interact with local characters, they don't work.

If you're using 4e, use the DnDInsider character builder to store local versions of characters and then use the conversion tool to send them to your GM for inclusion in the campaign. That's what I do, anyway.

Griogre
February 10th, 2009, 21:41
Local characters can only be made with the lite version of FG with special rulesets (sometimes called a pak ruleset). Currently there are only a few ones available like the d20 ruleset and the GURPs one.

The full version of FG can make local characters if the ruleset you are making the character with is the same the host is using.

The reason you don't see many pak rulesets is for them to work right you need to set certain registry settings - which normally means you need to write an installer for the ruleset. Josh explains how in this sticky thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9166