PDA

View Full Version : MOD Files

Traffik
February 6th, 2009, 16:59
I apologize for the relative inexperience of this question, and hope its answer hasn't been posted elsewhere that I've just missed. I'm looking at creating some custom rulesets, and I've been reading through all the XML and Lua tutorials, no worries there. What I am curious about, however, is the MOD files. I'd like to put together some modules like in the Savage Worlds and Call of Cthulhu sets that can be blocked, viewed by players, etc. I see that the MOD files are compiled files, but I'm not sure where or how they are being created. Am I missing something simple here?

Thanks for any help and information you can provide.

Spyke
February 6th, 2009, 17:55
Modules can be created using the export command from within a Host session in FG.

See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide/modules.xcp. There are also useful comments on exporting on these boards.

Cheers,
Spyke

Griogre
February 6th, 2009, 20:36
There are two general types of module files though the general structure is very similar. Adventure modules, like those in Xorn's video tutorials and the library book modules like those in the d20, SW and CoC rulesets.

Library book modules need to be build by hand. You are best off learning to build your own by looking at some existing ones. It sounds like you have several already, plus you can look at the d20 ones.

In summary, mod files are really renamed zip files. If you do not have "show file extentions on," then do so. Then change make a copy of a module and change the extention of the copy from .mod to .zip of one of the library modules. You will see there are three files inside: the module graphic, the definition.xml file and another xml file. The other file is the meat of the library module and the name of the file determines its module type. The file will be called: db.xml, client.xml or common.xml - this tread covers it pretty well: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6967&highlight=Library+modules

Traffik
February 7th, 2009, 01:26
Thank you both very much!