PDA

View Full Version : My players can't log on...WHY???!!!!!!

Captcorajus
February 6th, 2009, 00:51
Alright, now I'm annoyed.

my players can't log on using my IP. I'm using a cable modem (comcast)

Any suggestions out there???

Sorontar
February 6th, 2009, 01:55
Alright, now I'm annoyed.

my players can't log on using my IP. I'm using a cable modem (comcast)

Any suggestions out there???

Quick question so we know the situation:Is this the first time with this set up or is this an ongoing game that has suddenly hit this snag?

This kind of thing is usually something to do with your port forwarding.

Captcorajus
February 6th, 2009, 02:52
its a first log on. After some hours of work I've almost got it fixed on my end, it was a router issue. but now the player is connecting but gets:

"host is using a propietary ruleset that does not match with the local installation, what does that mean dang it!!!!" Jeezus christ I can see him trying to connect, and then booted off.

I'm using the d20 ruleset and so is he

unerwünscht
February 6th, 2009, 03:12
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and say you two have different versions of the Fantasy Grounds application.

I have not seen that error before, and I must say I do not know for sure what would happen if someone tried to connect while using another version of the application. but I would assume that it would be something like this.

Captcorajus
February 6th, 2009, 03:15
both players are getting the same message

it appears they have 2.0.12 and I have 2.3.6 WTF? why is different and why doesn't UPDATE fix it???

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and say you two have different versions of the Fantasy Grounds application.

I have not seen that error before, and I must say I do not know for sure what would happen if someone tried to connect while using another version of the application. but I would assume that it would be something like this.

Captcorajus
February 6th, 2009, 03:30
I can see 2.0.12 in my history 9 updates ago. theirs won't update further when they hit the update button.... jeezus

Captcorajus
February 6th, 2009, 03:42
Ultimately, the connection issue was far easier to resolve... I just direct connect the cable modem to my laptop and skipped the router.

But, after a lengthy G Chat I found out I was dealing with a couple of pirates. Hence the reason their copies didn't update. Man am I pissed off.

Valarian
February 6th, 2009, 10:20
But, after a lengthy G Chat I found out I was dealing with a couple of pirates. Hence the reason their copies didn't update. Man am I pissed off.
This is interesting ... and something to flag up to the Devs. I wonder where they got the software, and whether a cease and desist notice would do any good.

Sorontar
February 6th, 2009, 10:26
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Networking

That may help if you want to get your router back on when you find some ninjas or cowboys instead of silly Depp wanabees ;)

zabulus
February 6th, 2009, 12:21
I must say that, although I do feel sorry you weren't able to have a good time, I feel comforted that pirates can't get into legit games so easily.

Captcorajus
February 6th, 2009, 13:27
Nice. Thank you.

https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Networking

That may help if you want to get your router back on when you find some ninjas or cowboys instead of silly Depp wanabees ;)

Leonal
February 6th, 2009, 13:50
This is interesting ... and something to flag up to the Devs. I wonder where they got the software, and whether a cease and desist notice would do any good.

A quick search on piratebay gives multiple hits, and I guess there are other torrent sites which also has it...

Captcorajus
February 6th, 2009, 15:44
Pirate software is definately an issue, but since you have to have to same version to link up and pirate copies don't update... that's cool.

unerwünscht
February 6th, 2009, 18:06
Not exactly what I was thinking the error was, but close. It is nice to know that pirated copied won't connect to legal copies, but is telling people where to find a pirated copy a good idea?

Master
February 6th, 2009, 18:40
Most people who are going to use a pirated copy of 40 dollar software are not going to be buying that software no matter what. They either dont have the money or are not sure that the software is right for them. Either way you are not taking a huge hit in sales from it. Still, probably not a good idea to advertise where that software can be found.

Valarian
February 6th, 2009, 19:56
Agreed, an email to the [email protected] email address is more appropriate if you find a website distributing a pirate copy. Posting on the open forum is not a great idea.

Leonal
February 7th, 2009, 00:04
Sorry about that, the editing policy prevents me from removing it though.
A mail has been sent.