PDA

View Full Version : 4EParser on the FGWiki

Zulithe
January 30th, 2009, 01:33
In reply to Oberoten's post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9516) about his awesome wiki (a thread I can't reply in, sadly!), I just wanted to make mention that I've begun working on a set of tutorials to help people use Tenian's 4EParser (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/4EParser) utility for creating their own home-rolled 4e modules.

Check it out!

Oberoten
January 30th, 2009, 04:27
Excellent. :) This is the kind of article the Wiki needs to be at it's most useful.

Do you want me to make a tutorial entry on the main menu?

- Obe

Zulithe
January 30th, 2009, 05:28
That would be great! I'll be adding more this weekend, for all interested.

Oberoten
January 30th, 2009, 16:27
I actually added the heading to the sidebar this morning before going to work.

A few amused people got to se an Obe with bandaged face following his client hunting. Ahhh. Just glad we didn't bump into any curious adventurers. It might have been hard to explain the overweight guy with bandaged face holding a shotgun. ;)

- Obe

Nedellion
February 2nd, 2009, 05:37
Zulithe, your MM parser tutorial was super-helpful! Using that as a base, I've been able to figure out how to add more monsters and also managed to make a separate module for the PHB. Thanks!

Zulithe
February 2nd, 2009, 10:43
You are very welcome. That is one of the great things about the parser. If you can manage to do one book (or part of one) you have most of the knowledge you need to do almost any of them.

I have a general idea of what the next few tutorials will cover, but if there is anything specific you or anyone else would like to see covered, don't hesitate to mention it.

I'm still in the progress of building all of my books, so I'm still learning too. ;) Thankfully we have Tenian himself here and he can probably answer some of the harder questions if need be.

Brognan
February 12th, 2009, 20:38
I'm new to FG II and the parser. I found your tutorial on parsing the Monster Manual was great. But I'm at a loss on the PHB. Will you do a tutorial on it? Thanks.

kcheu
February 18th, 2009, 02:11
I am trying to figure out how to add the token to the file. Everything works great, but i don't know how to add token. Also, i did one just great......um, newb here, can i do multiples at one time and do they just go in one large note file for data, and fluff?

kcheu
February 19th, 2009, 03:32
I started out with parsing feats and i get a problem as it says invalid class type

ZXCV123 Action Surge [Human]
Prerequisite: Human
Benefit: You gain a +3 bonus to attack rolls you
make during any action you gained by spending an
action point.
ZSD Action Surge

not sure what i am doing wrong here

maobul
February 20th, 2009, 15:29
Oh, man! The tutorial was really great. Finished my MM today...

Any chance to see some step-by-step-tutorials for the parts of the PHB?
Even if you think they are not necessary I totally fail on them. :-(

GatewayTraveller
February 20th, 2009, 18:00
This seems to be a nice utility, but is it possible to use it for other rulesets besides 4e? I assume it could be but I want to be sure

mr_h
February 20th, 2009, 18:25
This seems to be a nice utility, but is it possible to use it for other rulesets besides 4e? I assume it could be but I want to be sure

I was just coming here to ask that question. I havent had the chance to sit down and read through it, but I'd love to be able to have an easier way to put in Star Frontiers or Top Secret SI or BFRPG...

Tenian
February 21st, 2009, 02:38
Well a lot of what the parser does is very 4E specific. Story, Maps, and some other things will work....but a lot of it (powers, npcs, magic items) has been significantly altered from the d20 versions.

The parser is also pretty picky about input. It expects things to look like they do in 4E publications.

Bidmaron
February 21st, 2009, 14:17
Well, for those brave enough, have you released the source so a soul could deal with the specifics?

Tenian
February 21st, 2009, 16:21
No, I have no intention of releasing the source code as long as I am actively working on it.

Bidmaron
February 22nd, 2009, 01:39
Thanks for the reply. I really don't have the time to monkey with it anyway.

Zulithe
February 22nd, 2009, 09:51
New tutorial is up.

This one covers batch files and "setup" files.

Trying to cover as much of the essentials as I can. :)

I'll see what I can do about a PHB tutorial.

Just a reminder: It's a wiki guys. If you see an error in one of my tutorials, don't be afraid to fix it. And please upload your own tutorials, if you like!

https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Category:Tutorials