PDA

View Full Version : Modifying CoC Ruleset for Dark Ages

Andeee
January 27th, 2009, 19:19
Hey all.

I've been attempting to modify the Cthulhu ruleset to generate a character sheet for Dark Ages. It's only small differences I realise, but still. The first thing I wanted to do was modify the available skills, which I've done. Now what I'm after is away to be able to select which era the character will be playing in and thus give me the appropriate sheet.

I changed eramanager.lua to include
local name = "Dark Ages";
below the already existing 1920s skill list - hopeing this would be enough. Now however, it merely uses the Dark Ages sheet as default.

Any thoughts?

btw I know very little xml and bugger all lua so any advice in easy to follow steps please :)

Valarian
January 27th, 2009, 20:39
I've got an extension that sets the Dark ages skills. I think Kevin was going to make it available on the Digital Adventures website.

Andeee
January 27th, 2009, 20:40
Ok cheers. Still if anyone can advise me on how to do what I was trying to, then I'll have learnt a little more about building my own ruleset :)

Valarian
January 27th, 2009, 20:49
The CoC ruleset uses extensions to change the skills for the various era. The extensions (.ext) are the best way to modify the skill sets for the game era. All you need to do is add the Dark Ages skills as another extension file (base it on the existing 1890s or modern one). The extension is then there as an option when you create the campaign.

Andeee
January 27th, 2009, 21:08
Nice one Valarian. It's a slow learning curve for me with FGII but I learn a little more each time.

Andeee
January 27th, 2009, 21:35
Ok cool. So now that's working, is there any way for a player to access the module to create characters offline?

Foen
January 28th, 2009, 06:32
Offline character creation isn't supported by CoC (or most other rulesets). Two types of ruleset exist: folder rulesets (90% of them) and PAK rulesets (the odd few). Only PAK rulesets support local character creation.

The reason why most commercial rulesets are the first type is that only the GM needs to have them installed (that might have changed in a recent FG update, but I'm not sure) which means the licence holder (Chaosium in this case) is only due one set of licence fees and the product is much chaeper to buy and use. PAK rulesets need to be installed on every machine, so you and your GM and all the other players would need to pay for your own copy.

The benefit of local character creation probably isn't worth the much increased cost.

Some community rulesets support local character creation, but they are rare.

Cheers

Stuart

NB: Obe, you might want to put this in the Wiki?

Andeee
January 28th, 2009, 07:39
Thanks again :)

Oberoten
January 28th, 2009, 08:43
Rule for the wise I think? If you are nearly too tired for reading... Don't try to write in Wiki-code. Or even worse? Poke into the vital parts of a ruleset. The script turns funny.

- Obe

joshuha
January 28th, 2009, 12:58
Offline character creation isn't supported by CoC (or most other rulesets). Two types of ruleset exist: folder rulesets (90% of them) and PAK rulesets (the odd few). Only PAK rulesets support local character creation.

The reason why most commercial rulesets are the first type is that only the GM needs to have them installed (that might have changed in a recent FG update, but I'm not sure) which means the licence holder (Chaosium in this case) is only due one set of licence fees and the product is much chaeper to buy and use. PAK rulesets need to be installed on every machine, so you and your GM and all the other players would need to pay for your own copy.

The benefit of local character creation probably isn't worth the much increased cost.

Some community rulesets support local character creation, but they are rare.

Cheers

Stuart

NB: Obe, you might want to put this in the Wiki?

Right as of October I believe PAK rulesets are not required for players to play a hosted PAK ruleset. However, they would still be needed to create characters offline.

https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9164