PDA

View Full Version : Problem regarding custom Rulesets!

Envoke
January 27th, 2009, 04:08
Hello there community :)

I had an issue regarding custom rulesets and connecting to a server with them. I decided to go all out and get the full version of FGII, and I don't regret it at all! :D I'm only a player, but I may end up hosting a couple games too ;) My issue was this...

The game I'm playing in is using the Four Ugly Monsters 4e ruleset. They're using version 1.2, but I have version 1.3. It technically should work, but for some reason, when I try to connect, it attempts to update my version and freezes up, and disconnects me....

My ports are all open, my FG is updated, and the DM is using the same version of FG as I am....whats happening? All the download links to the 1.2 version of 4e_JPG are all broken/non-existent, so they have to update to accommodate me....is there any way to fix this without having to update?

Thanks in advance! :D

~Envoke

Griogre
January 27th, 2009, 04:28
It *should* not matter what your version of the rulset is. When you connect, even though you have the full version, the ruleset still has to be transfered because the 4E ruleset is not a pak ruleset. Rulesets are tied to campaigns and they are transfered everytime you connect to a new campaign.

Personally I would suggest to them to upgrade the ruleset (after backing up the campaign) just for the bug fixes. I upgraded the my campaign several times starting with the pre 1.0 versions and never had any problems.

You could confirm if it is a problem with you having the newer version of the ruleset by moving the ruleset out of your ruleset folder onto your desktop and then trying to connect.

Envoke
January 27th, 2009, 15:45
Well.....I attempted to move the ruleset out of the folder and reconnect, and nothing. It still seems to get caught up at the one file in the ruleset (diemod.fgf) over and over. It gets to 85 kb downloaded of the file, and then just kind of hangs there. After a varying amount of time (sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes half an hour) it will give me an error message stating the connection could not be established.......

Huh.

Any other possibilities by any chance?

Tenian
January 27th, 2009, 15:47
Did you try deleting your cache for the campaign you are connecting to? That will force a full download

Envoke
January 27th, 2009, 16:04
Yes, I tried deleting the cache, and then after that didn't work, I went back and uninstalled the program, went and deleted all relevant files to it, reinstalled, and it's still having that problem :o

It downloads other files from the server no problem, but that one seems to not want to download...

The error message I get is this:
"The connection to the host has been lost. Please restart to reconnect."

and then it disconnects me from the server.

Tenian
January 27th, 2009, 16:20
Have your GM host. Then have them launch a second session and connect to localhost as a player. Once they connect, they can log off.

The GM should now have an entry in the cache for the campaign. They should be able to compress that and mail it to you. I believe if you install that to the correct directory on your machine, FGII will see your cache as valid and not attempt to download anything.

icedcrow
January 28th, 2009, 12:25
It was a firewall issue. Our firewalls hated each other. To fix it we both suspended our firewall until the download was complete.