PDA

View Full Version : A note on miniature scale

Captcorajus
January 25th, 2009, 16:40
I was making minis based on Xorn's instructions and I found some interest issues do crop up on occasion.

Some minis are "taller" than they should be do to some incongruities. For example, a warrior with his sword raised high will make the image much taller and make the warrior himself seem "shorter" if you just change the pixels to fit the square.

Since the progam snaps the image from the center you can make the file slightly taller than normal, and it will still fit. Thus, I use the 100 pixels high scale. So in the case above I might make the image 120 pixels high instead. The head to toe scale of the mini will now be correct when compared to others, instead of seeming "short".

Another trick to get the image to "snap" correctly is to reinforce the width as well. Make your canvas 100 pixels wide (for M creatures) before you paste the image. Thus in the example above the image would be 100w x 120h pixels, but would appear 100 x 100 head to toe of the mini, and the sword aloft would be out of the square when placed.

In fact, I make a blank square canvas of the correct proportions, say 200 x 200 for a 10' square creature, and resize the image before placing it on the canvas to get the token to "snap" correctly.

Some images, still won't be perfect... such as wings, or spider legs, tentacles, etc. You can still get things to snap right, with the offending appendages just outside the square by deviating the canvas a few pixels either wider or taller, and still get it to look correct.

I don't any major math, but guess at it based on the individual miniature. The wings of a succubus will be outside the square when place on the map, but will still look right in comparrison to other tokens.

Foen
January 26th, 2009, 06:22
I think the handling of transparency has been changed since the tutorials were made. Previously, any transparent pixels 'obscured' tokens on adjacent squares below the first token - clicking would pick up the top-most token even if its pixels were transparent at the position clicked. That meant larger-than-the-sqaure tokens could be a pain.

Now the engine has been changed (I believe) so that you click through transparent tokens and pick up whatever one is visible.

This actually allows you a bit more flexibility with out-size tokens. If you have a warrior whose sword extends 10 pixels above the normal square, try adding 10 transparent pixels extra below the normal square as well. The centre of the token will be preserved and extra pixels below the 'bottom' of your token shouldn't cause any problems.

Foen

Griogre
January 26th, 2009, 18:02
Good point by Foen. It use to be very important that tokens fit totally inside a square. All those mini's that had the sword raised high just didn't do that without looking ridiculous. When I was making tokens from the D&D Minis I would just skip a token like that.